< Upheaval: 'Twas the night before school

Monday, January 03, 2005

'Twas the night before school

We went back to school today. Just a teacher workday, thank goodness. Kids come back tomorrow. Teachers need this day to cluster outside of our classrooms and catch up on the fun of our Christmas vacations. If kids came back right away, we wouldn't get anything done for all of the talking we had to do.


Of course, I am wasted. Two weeks of sleeping late and staying up late did me no good. Last night, I had the anxiety that has always accompanied a return to school. I woke up this morning with the covers knotted up and the tv remote under my neck. I had to remake the entire bed. (This from a person who used to fold her covers back, Bree-like, and lay still so that I wouldn't have to work hard to make my bed in the morning.) Thankfully, Daniel was working and did not have to witness my pitiful attack of nerves.


Why do I do this? I realize that I am going to spend the rest of my life in school, either as a student, or as a teacher. At least I could train myself to be functional the night before The Great Return. Or maybe this is something I should resign myself to for the next forty years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home