< Upheaval: Curling commentary

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Curling commentary

I haven't watched much of the Olympics, but it was on this morning, and the remote was too far away for me to change the channel.

So that brings me to my topic of the day. Men's Curling.

This is a really strange sport. If I were an alien watching humans do this activity, it could not be any weirder to me.

First of all, there is some giant ball that a man slides slowly down the ice. Slowly? A man doing a sport S-L-O-W-L-Y???

Then two men swoop in from either side and begin gently sweeping the ice around the ball as it slides forward. Again... gently?

Finally, the men become so concerned about the debris on the ice that they begin sweeping furiously in a concerted effort to make the ice smooth. Concern? About debris?

Who are these men, and where do they train? Perhaps I can get Daniel interested if I convince him that it is a "sport."

11 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

ah! there is a movie about it? even better. i can definitely get daniel on the bandwagon if there is a movie!

also, dillon IS so portable in the box! :) that is why we like it!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Now if there were cheerleaders... you might have something there.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't get this "sport" either, but it just figures that if men sweep they think they deserve an Olympic sport for it.

5:56 PM  
Blogger koyama said...

If I were an alien watching humans do this activity, it could not be any weirder to me.

There is always one sentence that just strikes me as so funny that it keeps me laughing for the rest of your posts. I think I will always show you the favs. This is it. TOTALLY AGREE about curling...to me curling brings to mind cheesy music, bad hair, greasy food and I have no idea why. It is so LAME!!! Maybe there is something fantastic about it, that until the SPORT is tried, you could never know. Maybe you have to be an alien to truly understand....

7:57 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Curling is huge in MInnesota and especially in Bemidji... 2 of the olympic teams are from Bemidji....

Minnesota... the curling state

10:34 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

First time I ever saw curling was on the Amazing Race. Yes, I'm edumacated by television.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

I was just commenting last night what a lame sport curling is. And watching men do the sport with such intense slowness just makes it hilariously lame.

Perhaps I can teach Bella at an early age to show an interest in getting women into curling. She can begin with the kitchen floor.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Trinity13 said...

If you think men's curling is bad, what till you see women's!

12:59 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

hmph. i've never heard of this sport. is it obvious i'm not watching the olympics? and that i haven't in, oh, 12 years? or something like that. i'm not going to bother doing the math.

10:22 PM  
Blogger YankeeAmanda said...

Yeah, Paul and I watched some curling today and decided that we,too, could become Olympiads based on this event. These were some of the fattest athletes I've seen in the games, not that they were really fat. It gives me hope. Now, where can I find an ice rink here in Mississippi!?!?

3:45 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Look at the Google homepage today!
They've been doing a different doodle for each Olympic sport, and today is curling!

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home