< Upheaval: Gardening

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Gardening

Since it is Spring Break, Daniel and I are both off work. The weather has been nice this week. Storms were forecast, but, so far, they have zipped right through, leaving us with some sunny skies and perfect temperatures.

Today, we did some much-needed work in our front yard. A year-and-a-half of neglect makes for some pretty thick weeds. I pulled weeds until my hand cramped. My thighs burned. My back ached.

I mounded the weeds on the sidewalk, then bagged them up when I was through. I washed the dog, and hosed off Dillon's outside toys. We planted new somethings in the pots under our front window. Daniel trimmed the hedges, edged the front yard, then spread some fertilizer out in a supportive gesture toward the grass.

It felt really good to do work in the yard. It is nice to have a visual reward for your labor.

I remember being in a Sunday School class one week, and discussing the parable of the sower. I am not one whose seed has rooted deep into the soil. My plant is not strong and fruitful. My seed grows, but only because of the mercy of my Father. I constantly battle the weeds in my own life, and sometimes get lax in the fight, letting the small things of the world become big and stunt my growth.

"18 Still others, like seed sown among thorns, hear the word; 19 but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful."
I thought about this today as we worked. My front yard isn't the only thing that shows signs of neglect.

3 Comments:

Blogger louann said...

Your post made me think. Made me realize things. Thanks for that.
But I am glad we have a God of many chances, who never tires of of our short comings.
Thanks again.

3:58 AM  
Blogger heidillydoo said...

Oh man...your post just makes me so jealous that you can actually garden at this time of year. It's still snowy here!

2:47 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

I confess to leaning on my shovel a bit too much lately, too. Those weeds creep in there before we know what's happening sometimes. Thanks for the thoughtful post--it was just the elbow in the ribs I needed today!

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home