< Upheaval: Dog Sitting

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Dog Sitting

I am keeping my brother's puppy while he is out of town this weekend. My brother insists that I refer to Dixie as "Dillon's cousin." So, Dillon's cousin is precious, but still a puppy - jumpy and barky and excited and still-thinks-she-can-get-on-the-couch.

It has been quite traumatic for Dillon.

When I got Dixie home yesterday, I put her inside with Dillon and Tux (our dog). I ran out to the car to grab her bed, and returned after just a few seconds. Tux stood by the door looking like a four-year-old tattle tale: "Uh-oh, Mom. You are not going to believe what they are doing! But I was being good! I was! So, can I have Dixie's treats?"

I could hear Dillon faintly:

"DOHG! Unnnngggh. DOHG! *gasp* Unnnnngggh!"

I rounded the corner in the kitchen to see Dillon face down on the floor. Dixie stood ON TOP OF him, two feet on his shoulders, two feet on his bottom.

And it has just gone downhill from there.

It has become a struggle for survival around here. Dillon heads to his high chair to have a snack - Dixie railroads him and gives him carpet burn on his ear. Dillon gets out his blocks to have a few moments of peace - Dixie takes off with his blocks and a small piece of Dillon's hand. Dillon, cranky, crawls into my lap for some comforting - Dixie licks his open eyeball, making him wail in frustration.

But Dillon is adapting.

He clings to furniture as he cruises the room, nervously surveying the area. When he finally gets up the nerve to let go to get from point A to point B, he runs as fast as he can, shrieking as he goes. He has taken to pushing his walker around as extra support. I even caught him crawling across the kitchen floor this morning, and he hasn't crawled in months. Hey, it makes sense. Not as far to fall.

Dixie goes home tomorrow. I am sure Dillon will be relieved. For about 12 seconds. Then I will hear an endless round of "Wizzy dohg?? DOHG! Dohg! Wizzy DOHG?" because he will miss his cousin when she goes.

*****

One year ago, it was all about Men's Strangest Sport.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennboree said...

If lil bro EVEN tells me that Dixie is Bella & Ava's cousin... :)

Great description of Dillon's big puppy sitting adventure. Literal puppy sitting, it seems.

6:28 PM  
Blogger YankeeAmanda said...

Ah, dogs and kids. Jadyn loves our dog.

BTW, your link to my page is messed up again. // at the end needs to go bye-bye.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Awwwwww!!!!!

My folks love their "granddogs".

5:21 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Dogs and kids--sometimes the combination is magic, and other times it's the birth of a life-long neurosis...lol, I bet you're right, though--he'll probably miss his furry houseguest once he's gone. :)

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home