< Upheaval: A new season is upon us

Friday, April 22, 2005

A new season is upon us

This is not one of the traditional four seasons that you learn in school. It is the sweat-soaked merger of late Spring with Summer and early Fall. It begins when the temperatures reach the 80s, and continues until Autumn's cool frost kills the heat. It is a blissful season to yard-workers, baseball players of all ages, and sweaty pregnant ladies.

It is Sno-Cone season!

I would like to take a moment to offer tribute to the person or persons responsible for the Sno-Cone's evolution. I remember the hard ice balls that I got as a youth. They were served in flimsy paper cones and dribbled with "red" or "purple" flavoring that immediately dripped to the pointy part of the cone. They cost 25 cents, which was fair, despite the fact that, more times than not, the hard ice ball would roll off onto the dry, red dirt.

Flash forward to today. I no longer wear blue polyester shorts with stripey tube socks to my knees. I no longer have a side-pony tail and really thick bargain-frame glasses.

Now, there are drive-thru Sno-Cone places. They have about a million flavors and will mix anything for you. They will give you spoon-straws and five napkins, if you ask. They will put a "small in a medium cup" so you don't spill it on yourself in the car. The ice is slushy and there is so much juice in there that your teeth and tongue are an unnatural color after the first sip. AND IT ONLY COSTS A BUCK!

I had my first Sno-Cone of the season today. I knew it was time because, after a full day of humidity and playing outside with my students, I smelled myself on the way home. If you are gonna smell like you worked in the yard or played back-to-back softball games, you better at least get a Sno-Cone out of the deal.

Don't ya think?

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennboree said...

Viva Le Sno Cone!

I love sno cone season. It ranks right up there with hot cocoa season.

When H *so as to protect names* and I were early in our dating career, we went for our first sno cone experience together. I got watermelon. He got pina colada which was blue (are they always blue?). Needless to say, he totally freaked a few hours later when "relieving himself" and I could hear him yelling that his pee was GREEN!

Took a few minutes to make him realize an ER visit was not necessary as it was merely an art lesson in color mixing.

That was our first shared What's In The Potty story.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Instead of cooling myself with a sno cone, since I am way too far out of town for that, I just jumped into my pool and got some sun on my very first day of Spring Break!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

For sake of the blog, though, I would have enjoyed a sno cone just as much!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Quycksilver said...

Wow! I don't think we have sno-cones like that in california--the pn;y ones I'm familar with are the rack-hard red yellow blue striped ones that don't have very much flavor. These sound way better. I think the closest I cam e come is a slurpee from the neighborhood 7-11. . . but that might be something!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Mmmmm...slurpees are dang good too! But sno-cones in Texas come in about a zillion different flavors and you always have to share at least a bite so you can decide if you want another flavor next time.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

they even have this kind that is called "homemade ice cream" and it tastes EXACTLY LIKE...

HOMEMADE ICE CREAM! that is so amazing to me.

my favorite these days is raspberry lemonade. yum!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You brought back some very happy memories, Amanda! I remember when I was a kid the Sno Cone truck drove around and when we heard his canned music we all ran home and got our quarters. I think he had three flavors: cherry, lime, and pineapple. As soon as this Arkansas cold snap is over, I'm heading to Tropical Snow!

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home