< Upheaval: What was I going to write about, again?

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

What was I going to write about, again?

I am losing my mind. Really!

I believe that the female brain is so high-functioning that it is acceptable to "drop the ball" on a few minor details, especially considering the weight of processing a woman's brain does during the day. For example, I forget to turn off lights when I leave the room. I also forget to turn my straightening iron off in the mornings. These are things that I have always done, but probably because I am a ferociously intelligent, multi-tasking woman.

However, my mental retention is on a downhill slide. For example, until the last week or so, I have not EVER:

1) Left my sweet, spoiled, inside-dog in the yard for six hours in the heat of the day with the savage beast that is our other pet.

2) Forgotten the lead singer of Genesis, then strained my brain so hard to remember that I finally had to just Google it.

3) Left the oven on, but not because I used it. Because I just turned it on, and then never cooked anything in it at all.

4) Forgotten to watch a television show that I have watched every Saturday for five years.


My most recent example happened yesterday. I was talking with a neighbor and she was commenting on our nice sodded yard. She said we are really going to have to baby it in this heat. To show what a good spouse I am, I decided to turn the sprinklers on. That was at about 8 pm.

After a long night of work, Daniel walked in the door at 6 this morning, thrilled that I had "helped out with the yard" by turning the sprinklers on, only to realize by the look on my face that I had left them on for ten hours. TEN HOURS. He walked (and I sulked) into the yard to see how mushy it was, and that is when we noticed the small (but steady) river that flowed from our saturated lawn onto the curb and down the hill.

Daniel told me thanks, but that I don't have to help him anymore.

Guess I will just patrol the house for lights left burning.

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, your mental workings are too busy concentrating on the baby right now. That's all! You'll get over it after the baby is born. In the meantime, stay away from electrical appliances.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Quycksilver said...

Yeah, I'm with Vanessa . . .
I think this is called "being pregnant."

Unfortunately, I can't use that excuse. I'm just absent-minded. The worst part is that my brother and I used to tease my mom relentlessly about being forgetful when we were kids, and now those chickens are coming home to roost!

6:09 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

haha...amanda! i was laughing so hard by the end of this post! haha...and i'm still laughing...

at least you TRIED to help daniel -it's the thought that counts, right? ;)

maybe you could make a daily checklist. it could be filled with things like, "turn off lights" and "make dinner".

6:38 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

i hope it is the thought that counts! i told him that i wouldn't bathe for a month to make up for the water i wasted.

his sweet eyes said "um, you are already large and swollen. why would you want to stink too?"

9:08 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

You forgot Peter Gabriel? How is this possible? (Actually I had to think about this for a while as well. Thought it was Phil Collins for some reason

10:00 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

it was peter gabriel, then phil collins.

:) they shared.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Yeah, I instantly would've said Phil Collins, completely forgetting about Peter.

Don't forget that baby is getting everything from your body first. I'm convinced it isn't just nutrients. You have your own built-in brain sucker too.

Wait till you are dying to go pee but your newborn baby is bawling and you have to hold her...I mean, him...as you rush to the bathroom, not noticing the lid is down.

Or you start the same load of wash three times because you keep forgetting it was in there two days ago till you smell the mildew and have to start over...again.

Not that it happened to me or anything.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

HA! I am not crazy... I thought Phil Collins was the lead singer for Genesis.

10:25 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

sadly, i don't know who Genesis is.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

aw jes, that is really too bad. you're missin' out...

12:08 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Jes, I'm sure you know the music. It was sanfrantastic!

I think they had like 28 albums or something.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AS -- A random question because I'm not "in the know": When is your due date?

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home