< Upheaval: Testing...1, 2,3

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Testing...1, 2,3

I am an intern in a special education classroom this semester to meet part of my graduate requirements. It is a pull-out program, so the kids just need extra help with reading or math. The kids come in for a couple of hours a day to work on problem areas.

This week, they are doing benchmark tests to track their progress for this nine-week period. You can tell they are doing testing because there are signs on all the classroom doors.

Or, you can just look at what the kids bring to class.

Apparently, testing causes intense starvation, and school rules are relaxed so that the children can remedy their hunger with all sorts of junk.

They came parading in this morning with sodas, giant bags of chips, boxes of candy. Keep in mind that they came directly to the Resource Room from breakfast. Three seconds after getting their tests, they commenced opening their sodas and rustling around in their chip bags.

It was absurd! Are we not worried about childhood obesity? Doesn't this encourage stress-eating? The test took all of ONE HOUR. It probably would have taken only 30 minutes, but a lot of time was taken up with the eating.

As far as I can remember, we never got snacking privileges during a test when I was in school. We just took the test, and continued on with our day.

Sorry for the rant. I was just astounded. What do you think about this?

11 Comments:

Blogger ~Jennifer said...

I'm thinking about the grease spots on the tests from all of those potato chips. :-P

12:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We never did either. We didn't have Coke and candy machines too.
No wonder this generation's kids are so fat.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

WOW! That's incredible. We never ate in class either. Let me tell you I think we are really doing our kids such a disserve now days. Makes me glad that I am homeschooling right now. I don't know how long I will but for now it is a good thing.

I was astounded when I read this.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Sharkey said...

I think it's completely ridiculous, especially since the test was only an hour and they came straight from breakfast. Even if they were only permitted healthy snacks, I don't get it.

Do you suppose they allow it to make the kids look forward to the tests instead of dreading them?

2:46 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

That's just crazy, and wrong! Just setting them up for bad habits the rest of their lives.

3:04 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

the parents should send their kids to school with rice cakes.

or, you could teach them a lesson and tell them that you'll plan a special snack for them during the test, which will mean they don't need to bring anything. then you could serve liver & onions with ketchup!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is definitely encouraging stress eating. Food shouldn't be used as a comfort tool like that. That's what's wrong with this fat, fat country!

8:13 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

test day is apparently also permission to wear PAJAMA PANTS to school and bring pillows. that did not happen today, but last year during TAKS (Texas' standardized test), all the middle schoolers looked like they rolled out of bed and climbed on the bus.

i think that is crazy!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

One of my art students wore pj's to class every time. In fact, her mother made me a pair! It was odd, though I love my bunny pj's.

See? Now what happened to the days of sneaking snacks in and eating them slooooowly and quietly so as not to get caught?

Good ol' days, that's what.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Trinity13 said...

I remember getting to eat whatever we wanted on test day. Of course it took longer than an hour, but pop and junk food was allowed...all day. We were also allowed to wear whatever we wanted. And this was a little over 10 years ago.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I dont remember being allowed to eat during test taking. Our graduation test werent that difficult though, so it wasnt all the stressful.
We did have soda and candy machines in the cafeteria. And a french fry machine and an ice cream machine and a coffee/hot chocolate machine.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home