< Upheaval: Now I lay me...

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Now I lay me...

Every once in a while, I come into possession of something so special that it becomes part of "Things I Will Keep Forever." The note my mom wrote me when I turned 16. The sappy letter my brother sent me in which he told me he was a Christian. My grandpa's Bible. My autographed picture of Kenny Chesney.

Eight years ago, in the summer of 1997, I went on a mission trip. It wasn't to the slums of New York, or to the war-ravaged jungles of Central America. It was to sunny Santa Cruz, California. It was my first, and really only, time away from home. I grew up in the town I live in now. My parents are right up the street. Those two and a half months are forever etched in my mind as a time of new independence. I was eighteen and was leaving my friends and family behind to see what God had in store for me.

My friend Jessica sent me a care package. It had some snacks, note cards, a pillow, and a very special pillowcase she had made.

That pillowcase is part of "Things I Will Keep Forever." It has come with me to my own apartment. It has gotten married with me and moved into a boy's house. It came to London last summer, and it was my constant companion during my pregnancy. Most recently, this pillowcase came to the hospital with me. The nursing staff and my doctor got a kick out of me and my pillowcase.

Jes, I just want you to know that I still have it. It is one of my very treasured things!


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

5 Comments:

Blogger Sharkey said...

Man, you even looked great in the hospital where you were stuck with needles and enduring a lot of pain. That is so not fair---er, I mean, Good For You!

4:23 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

WHEN did you get an autographed pic of Chesney? Why did I not know of it's existence?

It was cute that Amanda had that pillow in the hospital, with her name spelled out across the top.

You don't look like you'd been in labor 13 hours at that point of picture taking. You still had "your lips on".

9:44 PM  
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Awww, how sweet! What a nice gift!!!

Btw, you look smashing darlin!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

You look great for being in the hospital. That is so great to have something that is such a great memory and to have it on another important moment in your life.

9:47 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

amanda, it has been so long since i've been able to read your blog. and look what i find!

oh my gosh, i nearly cried when i read what you wrote! eyes, misty.

i'm glad you're still getting good use out of it!

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home