< Upheaval: A new fake leaf

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

A new fake leaf

I am very hard to read. I am sarcastic and rarely serious. I don't change my expression when I am joking. I say what most people are thinking, but I say it out loud. I think I can be harsh and probably offensive.

The side effect of this is that there are not very many people who "get" me.

Tonight, in my class, I was introspective. My professor, who knows me well, mentioned that it is hard to tell when I am serious and when I am not. Daniel and I discussed it, and he gave me some tips on how to be more "normal" so others would know how to take me.

His advice was to "be a little more fake."

So, I am cleaning up my act. I am going to be likeable and "getable." Just don't look for truth here.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

No, no, no...I get you. I'm just like that, too, and no one ever knows if I'm being sarcastic or serious. I think all of your readers "get" you, too, Amanda, and we love your personality.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Oh, whatever! You couldn't be fake if you took a class on it!

If you change who you are, I'll have to stop liking you.

KIDDING!!

Or...am I?

8:15 AM  
Blogger Sharkey said...

I can't imagine taking "normal" tips from my husband. Around our house, that would be like the blind leading the blind.

Go ahead and change in real life if you want to, but don't change anything around here--we'd miss the real you!

8:58 AM  
Blogger Trinity13 said...

You sound just like my hubby! Most people can't tell when he is joking.

9:06 AM  
Blogger YankeeAmanda said...

Oh no, please! I get enough of that fakery just living in the south. Please be real!

9:22 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

lol.... you guys make me laugh.

"sarcasm is the new serious" ha!

maybe i am likable on my blog because it is filtered through the keyboard? maybe i need to communicate via keyboard in my real life?

lemme ask daniel about that one. ;)

10:40 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I don't know why anyone would want to be more "normal"...and secondly, I like you the way you are, and I ALWAYS know when you're kidding... or at least I know to check and make sure you're not serious... :)

2:43 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

I hate fake! Give me real!

12:26 PM  
Blogger koyama said...

"likeable" and "getable" you are already!! I dunno. I know it is so hard with some people and so easy with others. I always feel my typed communication is misinterpreted...

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home