< Upheaval

Thursday, June 02, 2005

up he'v l - a sudden, violent change or disturbance in affairs.

I named my site this because, for me, this is a year of sudden change. (And anyone who doesn't think childbirth is violent needs to be within five miles of me on, or around, September 9th, 2005. But I digress...)

I left my teaching job last week, excited at the prospect of going to graduate school in the Fall. I will get my Master's in Special Education, focusing primarily on Autism and Emotional Disorders. With graduate school and a new baby, Daniel and I decided we would suck it up and live off of his income for a year. This is going to be tough!

Our goals are:

- to maintain our house payments! hello!
- to find an acceptable and affordable insurance option for myself and the womb-child
- to be good stewards of the money we do have

I thought I would find a part-time job in December or so, when I can bear to leave Junior for a few hours at a time. I wasn't really excited about this, but think it is neccessary so I can contribute financially.

I haven't stressed about money. I still will get a paycheck from school until September. There are lots of corners we can cut to make ends meet. And it helps that Daniel is the money-man. He is the one who has been stressed!

God is so good, though. My dad owns a company here in town, and of course, my parents love their baby girl. My dad offered me some clerical work and data entry at a modest salary. I can work as much as I want this summer and then again after the baby is born. So right now I am working about 12 hours a week. I still get a relaxing summer vacation and I mostly will work while Daniel is sleeping (remember, he works nights). This is exactly perfect for me and we will be able to save some money this summer for extra expenses.

It is amazing to me how God answers the prayers of our heart. He knows what we need and when we need it. He cares so much about His creatures that even the sparrows lack for nothing. And in the end, when I view my world as turned upside-down, He makes it right and shows me that the path has been smooth all along, because He has been with me.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jennboree said...

It is always comforting to know that He always knows what's best for us even when we don't see it right away.

I'm glad you'll be helping the fam biz...you should bring quite a bit of personality (ie. pregnancy hormones) to the office. hahaha

AND..I still think you should consider writing children's books. People pay a fortune for anything to do with kids!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I really enjoyed reading your post Amanda. The hubby and I are at least beginning to plan for a future that would include children in the mix. We are praying now for the faith that will be tested when the wee one is born and finances are strained more than they are now. We know that God is faithful and that children are a blessing from Him, so I know we will have our needs met. It will just be a challenge on what we see are needs and what are just wants. Thank you for your encouraging post.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Funny how the Lord always provides. I am right with ya on this post. Why we stress about these things is beyond me.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Going for your masters is a really smart idea. (I finished mine last December and feel so good about it.) True, God provides for us. I think He especially helps those of us who help ourselves, like you are doing. You're a good girl, Amanda!

7:29 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Go girl Go. And in response to your comment on my site, I would so be up for a reading fest, becasue as much as I love those movies the books are what captured my heart in the first place.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

You are so right, God knows our needs before we even speak them out loud. He loves us and is concerned about everything in our lives.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

i think that God places people in our lives at just the right moment. yesterday, i was telling a friend about our need for private insurance since i left my job. she said "hey! call my mom! she sells insurance and she might be able to help you out." :) just another thing that shows that He is so ready to take care of our needs if we will just ask Him.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

So true, Amanda Sue..

Three days before having the surgery for Bella and being extremely nervous and scared, a couple sitting across from us at a restaurant came over to talk to us. Turns out the girl had just given birth by c-section a month earlier and her words of encouragement and exchange of phone numbers really settled my heart. God always shows up through people or places at the perfect time. God's cool.

6:42 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

hey. i think i started reading this before, but only got as far as, "i left my teaching job last week..." before i got distracted.

i think it is great that your daddy-o offered you a position doing clerical work! hooray for fathers, both kinds. they know best! :)

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home