< Upheaval: Probably an information overload

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Probably an information overload

I don’t want my blog to turn into my platform for talking nonstop about Dillon. That is boring, and the only people who want to hear about him that much are me and Daniel, his grandparents, and maybe his aunt. So I am making a conscious effort to post about other things, even though he is constantly on my mind and on my boob.

(Okay, not really, because he eats out of a bottle. But close enough.)

It has been almost two weeks since he was born. Happy Birthday, Little Man! Here are some details about his arrival and the subsequent two weeks. Hopefully, all of my mama-pride will be released in this post and you will be spared from future posts like this one.

Thankyouforyourpatience. :)

I went to the hospital to be induced at 7 am on the 14th. I am really tough (!) and I just knew that I could do this whole thing with no epidural (the big scary shot in your spinal column). Epidurals are frightening! I made it until 3 pm when I was dilated almost 8 centimeters. At that point, I was crying for some relief. Epidurals are wonderful!

My sister and Daniel were my coaches. Apparently, that means that while I concentrated on breathing through contractions, they whispered to each other and tried not to laugh too loud. Thanks guys! They have seen more of me than I have even seen! Ew!

At one point, the nurses said it was time to push. Then they left the room. The three of us feigned abilities we don’t have and frantically tried to coordinate our efforts with the computer readout that told me when to push. It was a circus. We were laughing so hard we couldn’t breathe. Well, I couldn’t breathe anyway, but I know they were having a hard time too.

I pushed for two hours nonstop. At 10 pm, my doctor said “you gotta know when to fold ‘em” and told me we would have to do surgery. Dillon is a stubborn boy! By this time, he was even “crowning,” which means that when I pushed, Daniel could see his head. Ew again!

So I had a c-section. Dillon was already so far down that the nurse had to push him back UP into my uterus so they could pull him out of the hole in my stomach. Want to feel helpless? Strap yourself to a table, give birth, then let someone take your baby away for nine hours. Sheesh!

But he is home now, and we have both recovered. Daniel says that I gave birth twice, and I think he is right!

What have I learned in the past two weeks?

Dillon likes his swing. He lets me sing to him and he doesn’t even make fun of my voice. He loves his daddy. He likes a schedule, just like his mama. He eats, looks around, yawns, and sleeps. In between all of that, he dirties his diaper within seconds of it touching his cute hiney. He smiles in his sleep. Don’t tell me it is not a “real smile.” I know that, but I am his mama, and I still think it is cute. He eats out of a bottle because he has perfected the art of nipple exfoliation and I can't stand it. But he is eating breastmilk, I just have to pump a lot.

There was a lot of hard work involved in getting him here. His daddy and I have had to learn a lot over the past couple of weeks. The one thing we didn’t have to learn was how to love him. That part comes easy.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

14 Comments:

Blogger chirky said...

oh, amanda. i love it! i wouldn't mind AT ALL if you posted more often about him. in fact, i WANT you too!!

he is so precious, and i love how you and daniel are loving him and learning with him. yet again, i am looking up to you. :)

reading this entry makes me want to have children. now, i mean. not in two years.

gosh, i want to come down and visit sweet little dillon. and you, too. and daniel. and beau. and that big lab that jumps all over the place and knocks down doors and eats collars, but i can't remember his name.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Jes - the big lab that jumps is Beau, and the cute, adorably anxious and mostly neurotic inside dog is Tux.
I know, that's what you meant! :)

A.S. - so does that mean that I bore you with all of my rantings and ravings about my Little Man with only a few deviations about school life?

hdyjw (heady jaw, or handy jew?)

3:38 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

MAYBE his aunt wants to hear every detail of his precious life? PSHAW! I want it all documented, pictures AND video!

BTW, I'm very proud of you for pumping every 20 seconds just so your boy can have the very best nutrition :) Besides, isn't it fun to watch your nipples do such an incredible feat via plastic suction?

4:39 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

BO (as in Bice or Bocephus) not BEAU (as in boyfriend).

um, no pictures of the new family yet. daddy is still working 12-14 hours a day b/c of the "hurricane event that wasn't" and mom doesn't have time to put on makeup or decent clothes. maybe next week.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Thank you so much for sharing Amanda! I can't believe how much hair he has...nor can I get over how beautiful he is!

11:55 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

This is Baby 101 for me. Please keep the info coming.

Besides, he's such a cutie, who can resist the photos?

sabuek

8:47 AM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

WHO is holding him? What's with the thumb?

10:31 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Look at all that hair! Cripes, I didnt have that much hair until I was like 2 years old! (and then my brother cut it all off)
He so cute, and I think it would be odd if you didnt post about him.
Every 20 minutes? ouch

dkpcshe
dark porsche?

11:12 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

Bo, Schmo. A friend of mine used plastic guards that slipped over her nipples so that her daughter wouldn't bite her. I watched one time, and it was quite a concept. Have you considered those?

1:58 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

i guess that is kim holding him. she hurt her thumb when she was a youngster in korea and it has never grown back right. i forgot what exactly happened to it.

jes - i have the nipple shield thing. still no good.

htoro (hot torro!)

2:37 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Oh of course it is something that I will now feel bad about asking. *sigh*

How was Dillon's and his Momma's 2wk appt?

3:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, you post all you want about Dillon. He is gorgeous and he is your boy! I think we all love hearing about him.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Dillon is a cool little kid... just going through this birthing process... I was having flash backs of a couple of nights ago. Great post.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Congratulations, Amanda Sue! He's beautiful!!!

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home