< Upheaval: The truth about human nature

Friday, October 21, 2005

The truth about human nature

We are always looking out for number one. Even in the most benign of situations, we twist things to be to our advantage.

Case in point: someone rear-ended my new little car on Tuesday. I was stopped behind another vehicle at a red light. Another car came up behind me and decided (too late) to swing around me and get in the other southbound lane. They underestimated the length of their front end, and clipped my rear bumper.

Of course, I called Daniel and he told me to call the Police Department to get an officer, even though it was a very minor accident.

The woman who hit me was so apologetic. She must have said she was sorry about 15 times. I told her that it was no big deal, that it was just a car, and I was glad no one was injured. She lit a giant cigarette, and then we chatted while waiting for the officer.

After taking both of our information, the officer released us to file a "blue form" about the accident with our insurance companies.

The woman thanked me profusely for being so nice, and again apologized before leaving.

Daniel called her insurance company for me on Wednesday, and I had to talk to someone and give a short statement about what happened.

Guess what! The woman says the accident was MY FAULT, that I hit her, and now the insurance refuses to pay for the damage!

If it was my fault, why wasn't I the one apologizing profusely? If it was my fault, how did I hit her car when mine was sitting still? If it was my fault, why was I the one that called the police when she just wanted to exchange information and leave?

The only thing I am guilty of is NOT looking out for myself as well as this woman did.

Big fat liar!!! Or, um, little skinny liar with the longest cigarettes I have ever seen!

12 Comments:

Blogger chirky said...

dude. that sucks. the police report should have said whose fault it was, shouldn't it? shouldn't the insurance company be looking at THAT? dude. Danmanda needs to call your insurance company and tell them they need to go to bat for you!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Sharkey said...

I thought that if you rear-ended someone, it was ALWAYS your fault. Even if they suddenly changed lanes and cut you off, if your car ran into the back of theirs, it was still your fault.

Sounds like you're just getting the runaround from the insurance company and they're hoping you'll go away. They'll pay in the end.

Glad no one got hurt!

10:17 AM  
Blogger YankeeAmanda said...

Did anyone else hear her apologize? If so, you have a witness that she was admitting fault. And you could always get the cop to make a statement too. And if an investigator looks at the damage, it will probably be obvious that there was no way it could be your fault.

What a biatch.

10:21 AM  
Blogger David Edward said...

good post about a bad situation.
See blogging can serve as the silver lining to any dark cloud.
Come and visit us sometime ( yes there are at least Two of me)

7:38 PM  
Blogger Trinity13 said...

What a pain!!! I can't believe she is blaming you! And what Sharkey says is true...it's always your fault if you rear-end someone no matter what the situation.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The insurance company KNOWS it wasn't your fault. They are simply trying to aviod paying. Don't let up on them until they pay. And, you could sue them!! Yeah, for emotional stress or something.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

well, since it was a minor accident and blue forms were issued, there is no official report. the officer is going to give a statement to the insurance company regarding what happened. it doesn't hurt that he is daniel's coworker :)

i am not MAD, just really astounded at the lie. and vanessa, i think i WILL SUE! distress!!!!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Then you really WOULD be Amanda Sue.

hahahaha

5:34 PM  
Blogger David Edward said...

hey I was trolling for new readers, and found some others fishing at michele agnew's blog which runs a weekend long blog comment "free-for-all"

So I have some new blood and a shot of inspiration for the coming week

1:48 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

ok, how come if this totally random lady calls YOUR insurance company and SAYS its your fault, she should be believed over you? Why is she so magical that shes got more credibility then you?

Sounds like insurance company is being fishy- stand your ground!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I think everyone I know that has been hit has had the person that hit them change their story after the fact. EVERY TIME. People just don't have a conscience anymore.

What a mess. Sorry you're in it!

3:31 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Dangit! Was Dillon with you?

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home