< Upheaval: Puzzled

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Puzzled

Not to toot my own horn, but I have a rather large vocabulary. Where the average person knows and uses about 50,000 words, I know and use at least 50,001.

Case in point: onomatopoeia.

Not only do I know this word, but I use it regularly. Perhaps as much as once daily.

But that is not what this post is about.

Because I have such a large (extensive) vocabulary, I thought I would be good (skilled) at crossword puzzles. I was right (correct)! I can regularly (consistently) get about 80% of the People magazine crossword puzzles correct without help.

Based on this scientific study of my own intelligence, I ran out to buy a book of crosswords. It is called Super Crosswords, and it ranges in difficulty from "easy" to "hard." The "easy" puzzles are at the beginning, so I thought, "Pshaw. I can knock those out in no time and move on to the medium ones."

Whoops.

Too bad that the People magazine crosswords are made by third graders, and they are in no way indicative of intelligence or ability at puzzling.

I have been on the same "easy" puzzle on page 2 of my new book for three days. Does anyone know a three letter word for "Hay or Holm?" How about a four letter word for "Levin et. al?"

What happened to clues about Ashton and Demi, or Desperate Housewives???

10 Comments:

Blogger chirky said...

oh, i don't go near crosswords. i'm intimidated by them.

and your expansive vocabulary.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

HeeHee. Get yourself a crossword puzzle dictionary and cheat, cheat, cheat!!!!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

now where is the fun in that? and where is a crossword with onomatopoeia in it???

7:32 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

I like the word "plethora" (excess). It is my fave. Maybe because Isabella had a plethora of puke as an infant.

Is it that you know 50,001 words or you know 50,001 words that no one else uses? :)

9:34 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

tracey - since none of the words around number 42 across are filled in, IAN sounds good to me. :)

jenn - i like "exacerbate." sometimes you get weird looks if you say it because someone thinks you actually said another word that ends in -bate.

example: Don't try to exacerbate the situation with violence.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

HA HA HA HA!!! Oh my goodness, I did the EXACT SAME THING. I used to get People magazine mainly for the crossword, because I could finish it or complete all but two words. Then I tried the "regular" crosswords. Um, not so much.

I was puzzled too. There should only be pop culture crosswords.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

uncle h - your secret is safe with me. in fact, i have NO IDEA what you could be referring to... ;)

am - i am glad i'm not the only one! those People magazine writers are deceptive. i bet they are in cahoots with the regular-crossword-puzzle-book-makers!

8:31 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Try "Iras" for Levin et al :)

10:20 AM  
Blogger YankeeAmanda said...

You forgot that people who make up those crossword puzzles are making them for the baseline reader - aka, a someone of elementary education.

I used the word "magnanimous" during a church announcement on Sunday and was told (jokingly, I think) to use normal sized words. Oh good grief.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

magnanimous, as in:

i am in a magnanimous relationship with daniel.

ha! told ya i was smart! ;)

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home