< Upheaval: Quick conversion

Friday, May 18, 2007

Quick conversion

I have a friend who loves the smell of bleach. When she cleans her house, it is with bleach, and lots of it. I've always thought it was just something she did cause she is a nurse. She needs to smell bleach to believe that things are really clean. Me? I like some Pine-Sol, or Fantastik. The regular bathroom scrubby bubble guys work well for me.

Until last night. Last night, I joined her club.

My friend has four boys. They are rowdy, outside kinds of boys. I am sure that in her nine years of being a mom, she has dealt with her share of sick kids.

Last night was my turn.

Let me spare you the details, but here are some things I learned:

1) If a child says "nonono!" when you ask if he is hungry, he is not lying.

2) You should always wrap yourself in trash bags when dealing with kids, just in case they spew.

3) As soon as a sick child is bathed and dressed, they will spew again.

4) The Smell lingers.

5) A sick child does not need to be rocked. This will lead to round number two (or three or four).


After Dillon fell asleep, I was left with a bathtub full of clothes and towels, carpet to clean, tile to scrub, and The Smell on my hands, lap, EVERYWHERE.

But I found a solution. I pulled out my bottle of bleach, and used up the whole thing. My hands smelled gloriously Clorox-ish. I almost swabbed the inside of my nostrils with a q-tip of bleach, just to experience the olfactory relief. But I had to draw the line somewhere.

Anyway, if my friend came by today, she would know that I was a convert to her school of thought. Bleach permeates the air. It is glorious.

Yankee should make a candle like this for mamas.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennboree said...

Could you imagine a Yankee candle in fresh bleach scent? I'd put it in the laundry room by the cat box. And another in the sunroom. And another in the girls' bathroom. And another... Maybe I'll just keep cleaning with bleach instead.

Funny, I used to like anything but bleach. Now that I have two children, bleach is the only thing that makes me feel everything got really clean and disinfected. Had to learn how to use the stuff without ruining all my clothes though. Spray away from yourself, first of all.

Hope little Dillon is better! I know how awful having a spewing child can be.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Sorry to hear that your little man is not feeling well...I too am a firm believer in the smell of clean only comes from bleach. When I worked at the Vet's Office, my goal every day was to keep that place smelling like bleach because if not...then it just smells like well a gross vet's office or like you are trying to cover up the smell of old sick wet dog! Hope all is well and that Dillon starts felling better soon!

10:12 AM  
Blogger mcewen said...

Ooo don't get me started on the subject of bleach!
Sometimes when the icky sickies come you wonder how people ever coped without washing machines.
Cheers

10:10 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Heh, heh, heh--that was pretty funny. I mean that in the most sympathetic way possible.

Welcome to the club. My bucket of bleach water goes all over the house.

Spankin'

11:37 PM  
Blogger Kandace Groenewegen said...

After 3 straight days of baby barf and diarrhea your post was an inspiration! I went at my house with a whole new attitude about the fact that pretty much every square inch of it had to be cleaned. And still does. Sigh. Maybe I will light one of those candles and have a bath instead.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Jemmers said...

I am a bleach user! And FS hates it!!! He refuses to clean his bathroom with it...so he bought his own cleaning supplies!! But I love it!! It is the only way I KNOW that everything icky is totally DEAD!!!

Hope the little guy is feeling better!

8:03 PM  
Blogger heidillydoo said...

There's no clean like the cleanliness of bleach!

PS: Check my blog. You've been tagged!

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home