< Upheaval: Out of the mouths of babe's parents

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Out of the mouths of babe's parents

Dillon is becoming very aware of language around him. He usually won't try something the first time he hears it, but he practices by himself a few times before sharing it with others, usually with surprising articulation.

This could be disasterous.

Even little words like "stupid" or "crap" that sneak into everyday conversation would be so much uglier out of a toddler's mouth. I just don't think that is cute!

Daniel and I talked about it, and we decided to have a code word. The catch-all word is "bobo." Not "booboo," but "bobo."

Used like this:

"Look at that guy! He is driving like such a bobo!"

"I felt like such a bobo when I forgot her name!"

It has become rather hilarious around the house since putting the new rule in place. We usually end up cracking up at how dumb we sound saying such an elementary word. Saying "bobo" has become so automatic, that when I hear cuss words, I mentally replace them with some form of "bobo."

So far, Dillon hasn't picked up on it, but I figure that time's a'comin', and it should be way more fun than having to un-teach him "idiot."

3 Comments:

Blogger Jemmers said...

You are such a great mommy!!!

I know lots of little tots that use words that would make you wish they would say idiot!

I may have to try this technique in the future!!!

6:42 PM  
Blogger louann said...

That's new :) I think I will be trying that soon.

Gave you the schmooze award by the way. Check out my blog :)

7:58 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Yeah when you and Daniel were doing that at my house it made me wince a little but I totally understand where you're coming from.

Unfortunately, Dillon will pick up words from other people anyway because they hear EVERYTHING.

That's where just ignoring what comes out of his mouth will come into play :)

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home