< Upheaval: Smile!

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Smile!

Dillon had his first dental appointment today. Those of you who know me well know that I LOVE the dentist. I love going and getting my teeth cleaned. I love the spit sucker. I love even getting cavities filled because I LOVE THE DENTIST THAT MUCH.

So, I was pretty envious that Dillon has such a cool dentist. She has a cute office with lots of toys. She has televisions mounted from the ceiling so the kids can watch while they get their work done. She even has toothbrushes with little games built into the handle, as if brushing could be any more fun than it already is.

Dillon did pretty well, flashing his pearly whites and letting her paint them with fluoride. He toddled around with his "prize" - a stuffed animal that I am pretty sure the dentist harvested from a Happy Meal at some point.

We got ready to check out, and the cute, chipper clerk said, "For Dillon? That will be $130 today."

All the blood in my body rushed to my face. I started to get hot. Seriously? This is my first-ever negative experience at the dentist!!! ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY DOLLARS? I didn't want to buy Dillon from you - I just let you look in his mouth!

Just as I was about to faint, she said, "Oh wait! I forgot to run the insurance! Um... let's see. That will be $6 for today."

All is right in my world again! See why I love the dentist???

5 Comments:

Blogger Jennboree said...

Ha! Wow, being the only ped dentist there I guess she can charge 4 limbs worth.

Very glad it went well. Bella loves her dentist too. It probably helps that they tell her 50 times that she's pretty. *snort*

Hope he enjoyed his sucker after the big boy haircut! His mama would've waited a couple of days so she could lick her clean teeth obsessively.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I'm hating the dentist. Niece Mindy went yesterday and doesn't have insurance. With X-rays, the bill was $198. Plus he found a cavity so that's another $96 next week. Lovely.

Glad yours wasn't that bad!!!

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad that Dillon did well on his first visit.

We did not have a good experience with TJ. We took him to a pediatric dentist a couple of times, and finally said "forget this" as the dental assistant forced his mouth open to put the fluoride on, all the while TJ is screaming bloody murder. I think we may have taken him for his first visit before we found out about the autism, but still! What kind of dentist forcefully holds a child down like that and expects them to want to include routine checkups once they are out on their own?(You know how kiddos on the spectrum can be with sensory issues. If they can avoid it, they will!).

My dental assistant is great, so I started taking him there. We are still, 4 years later, trying to get past the fear of being held down like that at the dentist. Last time he allowed her to clean every tooth, but it took a lot of coaxing!

CR has his first appointment next week, with my dental hygenist, not the supposed kid friendly pediatric dentist! I'm anxious to see how that goes.

Anyway, glad it went well for Dillon!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Maddy said...

Newbie - the dentist, any dentist is not my favourite person. If it wasn't for the insurance I'd probably never go again!
Cheers

6:33 PM  
Blogger louann said...

what a behaved little boy! :)
i don't really like dentists though.

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home