< Upheaval: Straight out of a tabloid

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Straight out of a tabloid

So, we all know that truth is stranger than fiction, right?

Dillon has a wonderful teacher at school. She loves him, and he loves her. He cries when she leaves the room. She calls to ask about him when he is absent. Love.

She has been a part-time teacher in his classroom since January, and full-time since May. I see her every day. We converse. About Dillon, other kids, her life, my life, my pregnancy, etc.

She was absent last Monday, which was strange cause she never misses. I saw her mom on Tuesday morning, and she said, "I guess I should tell you why Angie missed work yesterday. We had a surprise Sunday night."

"Oh, yeah? What happened?" I asked, thinking that maybe they had a car accident, or there was a mysterious surprise visitor who came knocking at the door.

Nope.

"Um... Angie had a baby. She called me from the hospital cause she was in labor."

"WHA!???" I said, eloquently.

"Yeah. No one knew she was pregnant. Well, she knew, and her boyfriend knew, but she didn't tell anyone else. I sure didn't know!" her mom said.

Again, "WHA!???"

She never, ever, ever said a word. Even when I would drop Dillon off, claiming exhaustion from the first trimester. Even when seven toddlers wanted to sit on her lap all day.

I am over my shock now, and we are having a "Welcome" shower for her on Friday night. But still, that is officially the weirdest thing I have ever witnessed. Can you top that?

11 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Stranger than that is that no one could see her belly. I can definitely not top that.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Is she really young? That is TOTALLY weird.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Allie said...

Good. Gravy. You'd think she would've said SOMETHING. Call Maury.

4:13 PM  
Blogger YankeeAmanda said...

Well, if I hadn't told people I was pregnant, they may not have known. I'm a big woman and could have very easily hidden it.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

WOnder why she hid her pregnancy from her mom? She was with the guy for a very long time, wasn't she? Maybe she just wanted to make sure the baby happened?

Very strange. I did know a woman once who you could never tell when she was pregnant until she started moanin' and groanin' about it. We learned to hide our surprise.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

y.a. - but you TOLD people! you didn't act like it wasn't happening the whole time! that is what is crazzzzzy to me.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

That IS weird! People are a mystery sometimes, aren't they?

12:59 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I can't believe that. I wonder what she thought would happen when the baby finally appeared.... I found you via Katrina's blog, BTW.

2:19 PM  
Blogger kristi said...

I worked with a girl who was pregnant and told NOBODY. It was weird. She was a bigger girl so she didn't show at all. Me, I was telling everybody as soon as I knew about both of my pregnancies!

5:20 PM  
Blogger YankeeAmanda said...

The thought occurred to me that maybe she previously lost a pregnancy and chose to keep it a secret just in case it happened again. I have a friend who delivered a full-term stillborn. Who knows why people do what they do?

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, that is definetly strange, but I might just be able to top it.

One of my friends has a daughter who is 13. She did not know she was pregnant - I'll repeat it again - she DID NOT KNOW she was pregnant until she went to the emergency room and they informed her she was in labor. This was when she was about 22 or 23 - before I met her. You hear about this sort of thing, but it is weird to actually know someone this happened to.

Can you imganine going into the hospital with severe stomache cramps and coming home with a baby? Having gone through two pregnancies, I still can't wrap my brain around her NOT KNOWING!

Oh well. Didn't mean to still your thunder, but I just had to share.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home