< Upheaval: Stewed Figs from the neighbor's neighbor

Friday, January 14, 2005

Stewed Figs from the neighbor's neighbor

We made cookies for some of our friends this holiday season. They are darn good cookies, too - cheap to make and easier than buying real gifts. Right before Christmas, we distributed these cookies to friends and neighbors. The nice people next door, who will remain anonymous, appreciated the cookies. "Ister-may Ill-Bay" felt that he wanted to reciprocate our gesture with one of his own, so he dug through his pantry and found some stewed figs. He brought them to us, explaining that someone gave them to him, and he DOESN'T LIKE THEM. I generously took them, so that I could put them in our trash can, because, what is a fig, anyway?


I thought it might be a one-time event, but a few days later, "Ister-may Ill-Bay" came over offering soup. It was "a chili-based soup" he said, and he wasn't sure he could eat it. I accepted, and then he revealed to me that the neighbor up the street had given it to him. Does this violate anyone else's social code, or just mine? At this time, I quickly said, "Now that I think about it, I don't like chili-based soup, either."


Was that a good save or what?


To complement my suave recovery, I now run gracefully the other way when I see him.

3 Comments:

Blogger chirky said...

A, I can imagine your gracefully running the opposite direction...or lingering in your car a bit longer when you see him in his front yard...

Stewed figs? WHAT?

9:33 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Posted this at 5:48 this morning, huh?
Couldn't sleep or something? What the heck were you doing up that early?
I thought only my family got up that early! :)
Hope your day went well!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Yeah, not so sure that re-gifting food is in the Guide to Social Acceptance book.

Sounds like the mystery neighbor is thinkin' you and your husband are a coupla trash bins for his unfavorite pantry items. Perhaps passing it off to you clears his shelf space both in the kitchen and in the cranium.

OOOOH!! You should take him some creamy asparagus soup!

That'll larn'em.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home