< Upheaval: Has anyone really thought this through?

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Has anyone really thought this through?

I am really excited! I get to start water aerobics tomorrow!

This is a huge deal. I have been working out consistently, even through my pregnancy, but the machines at my gym are becoming very uncomfortable to use. Bending and squatting are my least favorite activities. Moving my head into a position below my heart is dangerous, to say the least.

But now I have the opportunity to don my giant maternity tankini (get a good picture of THAT in your mind) and submerge myself in water while being led through exercises that will make me feel better about my growing body. When I called the facility where the water aerobics classes are held, I was told that there were many pregnant women who took the classes, and I wouldn't need a note from my doctor.

I am picturing an Olympic-sized pool, cold and clear.

I am picturing scores of big-bellied women standing around, self-consciously wrapped in giant towels, waiting for class to start.

I am picturing some tiny instructor who will outpace us all with her foam noodle and underwater hopping.

But mostly, I am picturing the embarrassing level of water displacement when we all descend on this pool, eager for relief from our heavy, awkward bodies.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennboree said...

Will there be pictures? Of you in your tankini? Of the first brave woman to drop towel and awkwardly climb into the pool? Of the mass exodus of water once the slew of pregnant bellies start easing in?

Wonder what Dillon will think of his mommy floating while he's floating. Will he be jealous? Kids like to do things by themselves, ya know.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

it doesn't matter if dillon is jealous. it will serve him right for trying to make me look freakish in public. lately, he stretches at the most inopportune times, making walking erect a challenge of mammoth proportions. i am able to gasp small phrases at the grocery store clerk and limp away at the rate of one step per minute, but only by imbedding my fist into my side.

but i am told this is normal.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Oh, it is normal. Just wait till baby decides he wants either his head or butt closer to your esophagus. You'll be eating and drinking Barbie-size portions.

11:17 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

water aerobics! i'm picturing lots of old ladies, foam noodles, and dry hair.

at least, that's how it was at the Y i worked at in Daytona. ;)

11:53 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

So the question is if they have to "top the water off" when you all leave. ;)

2:56 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Oh....I wish I could go....my best friend Dawn does water areobics some 3 to 4 times a week and she LOVES it....plus the average age for the class is around 68....and that's with her age of 23 in the average!!! :) Have fun! You will enjoy it greatly!

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Top the water off" -- Ben, too funny.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home