< Upheaval: The price of beauty

Monday, June 06, 2005

The price of beauty

I got my eyebrows waxed today. I don't do that often. Usually I stand at my bathroom sink with my 10X mirror and some tweezers and pluck away. But I paid a woman seven dollars to do it for me, quickly and painfully, today, because:

1) It is hard to see all those darn little hairs and sometimes my eyebrows get too far gone to ever recover on my own.

2) I don't like standing up very much anymore.

3) My belly sticks out enough to put me an extra three inches from the mirror. The harder I lean against the bathroom cabinet, the more this baby protests!

4) I am not feeling very beautiful these days. At least now I am puffy and slovenly with even, shaped eyebrows.

5) I had a few dollars in my pocket. If the money is not already on fire when I get it, I quickly light it up and let it start burning a hole.

Have you done anything to make yourself feel good today?

11 Comments:

Blogger Jennboree said...

Well, on Saturday I paid someone an ungodly amount of $ to color my hair and attempt to hide the gray. I consider any amount over $20 for anything ungodly.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Quycksilver said...

I've never had my eyebrow waxed, though I did get them dyed for the first time a couple weeks ago . . . It was a strange sensation, but I don't really see a difference.

But I think that preganacy is a good excuse to give it a go, if you need reasons for that kind of thing.

:)

4:46 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

yes! i painted my toenails this morning! :) they're so pretty and hot pink!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

stephen - one thing that attracted me to daniel (okay, not initially, but it came in time) was that he has good eyebrows that don't grow outside of the lines. keep it up with the brow care and i am sure a hot hawaiian babe will be chasing you down in no time!

7:08 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Good grooming technique, Stephen. A unibrow just makes facial expressions confusing.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

right on jen. i think that is why bert gets so much bad press...

9:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Once in a while, on a weeknight, I'll declare "night of beauty" and give myself a manicure, pedicure, facial, and deep condition my hair. Makes me feel great!

6:36 AM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Yes, Amanda, I agree re: Bert. Unibrows tend to make one moody plus I think the turtleneck might be too tight.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Edgy Mama said...

AS,
Part of my pre-nup agreement requires that when I'm pregnant or getting ready for a big event, I'm allowed to spend $ on beautification as needed--with no kvetching from E-spouse!

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seven bucks is cheap. It's 12 bucks here. Sigh ...

4:15 PM  
Blogger Quycksilver said...

I love Bert.
Never really cared for Ernie though. . .

3:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home