< Upheaval: Book review

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Book review

So, I finished this book, Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers, and I wanted to post a quick review. This book has been around for a while, and I am pretty late reading it. In all honesty, most Christian fiction comes off as a little hokey to me, so I was pretty sure I wouldn't really like this book that much.

Well, that goes to show you that God speaks whether you are listening or not.

I will not purchase this book and re-read it annually. I will not discuss passages with friends as though they have become my life's mantra. I will not memorize sections and quote them in conversation. Don't we have another book for that?

But, this book is very convicting. It is convicting because, from day to day, I forget how much God loves me. I forget that He will come after me if I wander. He is a vigilant shepherd, and I am one of his flock.

It is convicting because I don't listen for his voice. I ask, then quickly forget to wait patiently for His response. I get busy trying to fix things on my own, doubtless making a huge mess of what was a simple problem to begin with.

It is convicting because I am not worthy. I have done absolutely nothing to deserve this love, but it is still there for me, every day. No matter what. Even if I ignore Him. Even if I get so busy that He doesn't cross my mind. He loves me.

It is convicting because my heart is hard. Because God loves me, I should love others. And I don't.

I don't think this book changed my life in a drastic way. But even one small degree of change in the course of a traveling ship takes you to an entirely different destination.

10 Comments:

Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I might just need to check this one out.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Melinda said...

wow....very passionate you are! :) Sounds like an interesting read...hum...maybe after Theory but before the Fall starts I might have to fit it in with Harry and Mr. Sparks! :)

8:12 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

melinda - inverted word order you used!

try to fit the book in. it is well worth your time.

10:13 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

well put, amanda. i loved this book. i agree with you - most christian books are hokey. i wasn't sure i'd like this book when it was suggested to me. but once i started it, i couldn't put it down. i think it might be a favorite for me.

however, unlike you, i've already purchased my copy, and i'll be reading it, and reading it again.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

great entry

12:44 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Amanda Sue,

Did you notice that Unkymoods is back?

AM

1:00 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I loved this book - read it several years ago, and you know what? I am surprised at how many times things from this book will come back to me. Probably because it is actually the story of the book of Hosea. My brother-in-law is a living example of loving the unlovely - the ones most people discard. Great post - I gave up reading Christian fiction a while ago - everyone's a little too perfect.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I agree that the majority of Christian Fiction has the Cheez Whiz factor. Dee Henderson is my favorite Christian writer. Followed by Brandilynn Collins.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the honesty you put into this post. My wife has a Francine Rivers entry in our budget--a fave around our house!

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is one amazing book and if you haven't read it, you should consider it. It does help you realize how much God loves you and it's a bit overwhelming! OD's right, I do love Francine Rivers writing. maybe it's becuase for so many years she wasn't a christian writer and then God redeemed her!

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home