< Upheaval: Rude awakening

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Rude awakening

Daniel let me mow the front yard today. ("Let" makes it sound like he was reluctant to hand over the duty. He wasn't, but he didn't "make" me. I am at a loss here, with the English language.)

Anyway, it was a nice day, so I puttered around the yard, making sure to cut all the weeds about the same height. I even mowed on a diagonal, so that if you drove by, you would suddenly think you were near a country club or major league ball field.

All this is to say that I think today is the first time in over a year that I have broken a serious sweat. My lungs were heaving. My muscles were shaking. My face was red. Dust coated my throat. I signaled to Daniel that I needed water. He mosied (how do you SPELL that?) inside and came out precious minutes later with a thermos of ice water.

When I was finished, I sat on the tailgate and gulped water. My stomach started to hurt. My vision was tunneling.

I came inside to relax, and after three hours, dinner, and a hot bath, I feel better. Hm. Maybe next week I will feel well enough to do the back yard.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennboree said...

Man, that tired ME out just reading about it!

Think I'll go take a nap.

9:15 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

you're cute. i love that you mowed on a diagonal. i'm totally not coordinated (or patient) enough to do that.

when i was in middle school, and my parents *let* me mow, i would hop on the riding lawnmower and pretend it was my convertible. :)

9:24 AM  
Blogger Trinity13 said...

I used to love mowing the yard...it was my only form of exercise! :-)

9:34 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

All your post was missing was that you were wheezing and gasping for air. ;)

11:01 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

this is totally a PUSH mower! it does have a self-propelled option, though.

ben - i said "my lungs were heaving." do i have to draw you a picture???

12:07 PM  
Blogger YankeeAmanda said...

I DREAD lawnmowing season - all that heat and sweat and labor - it makes Paul stinky. ;)

2:54 PM  
Blogger koyama said...

Was is a ride 'em lawn mower? Tee Hee. Oh wait, you wrote that it wasn't.
What tail gate did you sit on?
I can't wait until the lawns in our town are actually visible. Sigh...

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home