< Upheaval: Grown up stuff

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Grown up stuff

We bundled that boy up in his jammies, hat, mittens, fuzzy socks and blanket and set off for the surgery center this morning. He was cheerful and played with his toy train in the waiting room. When we went to the surgery prep room, his daddy blew up a rubber glove and gave it to him to play with. We changed him into the tiniest hospital gown ever and handed him off to the nurses, clutching his glove-balloon.

It probably wasn't three minutes later when they had him gassed and were hacking on his throat tissue. Hey, I saw how they yanked that newborn around when he just got cut from my uterus - now that he is a strapping 25 pounds, I am sure they weren't any gentler. I hate to imagine them ramming their tools in his ears and shoving a breathing tube down his throat.

In the waiting room, I tried not to think about my worries. Will his voice sound the same if they take his adenoids out? How is he going to react to his anesthesia? I called my most recent surgeon obscene names - what does a baby do when he doesn't have the vocabulary to express himself?

When they called us back a few minutes later, I could hear Dillon wailing all the way down the hall. I scooped him up and immediately regretted that decision as he kicked his feet furiously and swung his arms all around. His neck muscles had lost their strength and his head swung around like a tetherball. Blood came out of his nose, and gurgled in his throat. Pushing against me with all of his might, it was obvious that he was desperately uncomfortable in his body. Feigning competence, I sat with him in a chair and held him as he cried. His eyes wouldn't stay open and his voice sounded strained.

After awhile, he calmed down. He dozed fitfully until we got to leave. At home today, he took about five naps, waking from each one to search out a familiar face. He has been content to sit in my lap when he is awake for brief periods.

He tried out his voice, mimicking my "Bye bye" when I got off the phone. It sounded scratchy and hollow. But you know what? It still sounded like Dillon.

We did this Big Parenting Thing, and we survived. Now all I need is just to take a nap and sit in my mama's lap for an afternoon.


Blogger Kelly said...

Oh man,ugh...it breaks my heart to hear of his discomfort, but I'm sure his many ear infections were just as unpleasant as a whole.

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww that is no fun at all. How is he doing now? When is he supposed to be back to normal?

6:45 PM  
Blogger YankeeAmanda said...

Wow, I'm so sorry it was so painful to go through. I hope he heals well!

8:29 PM  
Blogger worshipnaked said...

AS -- My nephew had tubes in when he was little and everything turned out A-okay. Hope he's better soon.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Amanda Sue said...

thanks for all the well wishes.

i know kids do this all the time, but this is a first for MY kid, and for me! i can't imagine having to deal with more medical problems than just the mundane ear infection. my heart goes out to the mamas that do this on a daily basis with their little ones.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Very true, Amanda. I felt like a major wuss after Bella's teeth surgery when I thought about Becca's daily battle with CF and going in/out of the hospital her entire life! Gave me new respect for her mother's strength and courage all those years.

But, it is all relative. You're right, this is YOUR baby and that makes it just as big, just as scary! I'm glad you are both doing much better :) HUGS

7:31 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Glad to know that all went well... how are things now? Better?

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home