< Upheaval: A true story

Friday, October 20, 2006

A true story

We use a pharmacy around the corner from our house here in our small town. We use it frequently since Dillon takes every medication under the sun. They have a drive-thru, which I use every time I go there.

Today was different, though. My friend has lost her daughter's pacifier and we were going shopping, so she asked me to run in and pick one up when I got Dillon's prescription filled. That initiated a very bloggable experience, which I am about to relay to you.

I walked into the pharmacy/gift shop and made my way to the counter at the back of the store after quickly scanning the aisles looking for baby items. A man was standing behind the counter in a white coat and he looked ready to help me.

"Do you have any pacifiers here?"

"Um... pacifiers? That would be in our baby section. But, um, I am not sure where that is. Hold on."

The man picked up a telephone and pressed a series of buttons.

"Bonnie? Please come to the front desk. Bonnie, you are needed at the front desk." His voice crackled over the intercom.

I looked around the store to make sure my memory was accurate - yeah, the store is about 30 feet by 30 feet. When I turned around, I saw Bonnie come out from behind her register and take three steps toward me. That is all it took for her to be in my personal space.

I laughed, kind of nervously, cause this was strange.

"Sorry. He didn't have to page you. I could have just turned around and gotten you, I guess."

"That is okay. You were looking for pacifiers? We don't have those." She must have overheard me asking him originally. Yes, she was that close.

I turned around to go back to the counter, and there was a customer in front of me.

I waited patiently until it was my turn and got OvereagerIntercomMan again. I asked for Dillon's prescription and he did a little bit of computer typing. He confirmed Dillon's name, the medication, and the day it was called in. He didn't do anything but look it up, then he said I would have to go to the cashier's desk to pick up the prescription. Four feet away. Where another customer was waiting.

I waited again until it was my turn. During my wait, I hummed along with the Mariah Carey Christmas album that was played over the loudspeaker. Oh, Holy Night.

When I got to the cashier's desk, I had another super-helpful employee.

"Is that Christmas music?"

"Yeah, it is. I didn't pick it. They should have waited till after Thanksgiving."

"Or, at least, Halloween!"

"I know.... well, thanks. Have a good life."

"Did you just say 'have a good life?'"

"No. I said 'night.'"

Whatever. He totally told me to have a good life. And they played Christmas music.

They should have been playing the theme to The Twilight Zone.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sharkey said...

That drive-thru is looking better and better all the time, huh?

10:49 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Weird and strange...

11:09 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Gotta love small town pharmacy/gift shops!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

That's funny! And totally weird. Small town weird.

1:44 PM  
Blogger YankeeAmanda said...

Doo DOO doo doo, doo DOO doo doo....

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home