< Upheaval: Heard around the house today

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Heard around the house today

Ka-chunk!

"Ooops!"

Ka-chunk!

"Dang it!"

Ka-chunk!

"Are you kidding me?"

Ka-chunk!

"Daniel! We have to take this thing off!"

Those are sounds heard in the kitchen today after Daniel installed a safety latch on the cabinet that houses our trash. I never realized that I open that cabinet very often, but it averages 733 times a day. For each of those times, I forgot that the latch was there. I yanked on the cabinet door, like I always do, repeatedly causing damage to the plastic latch, the cabinet door, and even my shoulder.

And it wasn't like it was a secret. Each time I pulled on the cabinet, there was a reverberating Ka-CHUNK!!! heard throughout the house. The first few times it was funny, but by late this evening, I was furious with the safety latch manufacturers. (What??? I couldn't blame myself!) What a stupid invention! It makes the user feel stupid. And it is loud. And frustrating.

Knowing what I know about behavior and how it is learned, I should be on the downhill slide of this one. I expect fewer mistakes tomorrow, and then by the end of next week, I will open ALL of my cabinets with my thumb ready to depress the latch.

But for now, I am piling the trash on the counter. A girl can only take so much ridicule in one day.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

Isn't it a bit depressing when we cannot train ourselves to remember a simple thing like that? You'll be better tomorrow, though. :-)

10:13 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

I do that with the stupid slide lock holding two doors closed. Best thing I ever did when she was little was to fill one lower drawer with just stuff for Bella to play with.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

dillon has a drawer and cabinet. and he really doesn't even ever go after the trash. i was just afraid that one day he would. so i thought i was being Good Mommy.

now i am just Annoyed Mommy.

6:05 PM  
Blogger LisaN said...

This was the funniest post we have read in a while! THanks for the good laughs!

You ever thought of getting your cabinets rigged in such a way that it opens when you talk to it?

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home