< Upheaval: Pregnant leg syndrome

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Pregnant leg syndrome

I vaguely remember feeling a little uncomfortable in my own skin toward the end of my pregnancy with Dillon.

I more clearly remember my feeling last night as I lay in bed, trying desperately to get comfortable and fall asleep. Every nerve in my body cried out for me to move. To stretch. To twitch. To shift. To flex. To relax.

Ohmygosh, I thought I was going crazy. My scalp even felt restless.

"This is mind over matter," I thought. "If I can just lay still and ignore these impulses, I'll be asleep in no time."

I lasted about six seconds, then in a huge scary burst of pent up energy, I flipped from one side to another, the sheets and comforter puffing up and then drifting down to settle around me. "Ah. That's better. Mmmm... wait. I just need to move my ankle. And shift my shoulder down a little."

Fortunately, Daniel had stayed up to watch television in the living room, because, at one point, I was balanced ridiculously on my forehead and my knees, holding my huge belly off the mattress. Just trying to find some position of comfort. It wasn't happening.

I guess I finally wore myself to the point of exhaustion, because I woke up this morning a little better. Still a little twitchy, but better.

I really feel for people who truly have RLS, constantly, daily. Pregnancy isn't the only time I have felt this. I know there have been other nights I have kicked my feet like an Olympic swimmer to try to satisfy the tickle in my nerves. But I get relief - it isn't every day that I have these symptoms.

Usually, when I am not pregnant, a glass of wine will do it for me. Or any other legal sedative.

But, I am thinking that if it happens tonight, I will just tough it out.

It is mind over matter, you know.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennboree said...

Love the heading. Nice.

Hubby makes fun of my RLS. I'm sure I have it. Cuz I'm not growing taller.

Mind over matter only works when you're NOT trying to sleep. Otherwise, it all just magnifies. Like fearing your toilet is a pet cemetary.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I absolutely hate that feeling. I seem to get that way when I take Tylenol PM, which is a shame because man that stuff relaxes me. Until I lay down. And then I want to scream. Good luck tonight!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I really like the apples!
I was going to call you today when I was thinking about you, but I think it was probably nap time, so I didn't. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

7:51 PM  
Blogger louann said...

Nice nice heading =)

Hope you get a good night's sleep soon =)

10:57 PM  
Blogger YankeeAmanda said...

I agree with karly about Tylenol PM. Love that stuff, and you can take it while pregnant according to my doc.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Up your iron and folic acid(through diet or a good quality supplement). Restless leg syndrome is a symptom of that deficiency.
:)

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home