< Upheaval: It's better to give

Monday, December 03, 2007

It's better to give

I love Secret Santa!

The way ours works at school is that we draw a name and then for the entire month of December (till we get out for break) we all give and receive small gifts every other day or so. Small things. Like a candy cane. Or a package of hot cocoa. Then, on the last day, we give a "big" gift that costs at least $10. That way no one feels gypped. (I never actually knew how to spell that, but that is the only spelling that didn't underline, so I hope it is right!)

So, we started last Monday. I checked my box about six times that day to see what I had gotten. Hmmm... they were playing hard to get. Nothing on Monday. My hopes were high on Tuesday as well. Repeat performance by my Secret Santa.

Actually, that continued throughout the whole week. Friday, I found the coordinator to see if someone had actually drawn my name. She assured me that someone had, and that they were working on a gift for me and had told her that it was going to be this week before I got it.

So, I coasted through the weekend. Other people were wearing their new jingle bell socks and rubbing sparkly hand sanitizer on their hands, but I was just trying to be patient.

This morning, I was sure I would get something. Anything. A post-it note? A chewed piece of gum? At this point, I didn't care. I just wanted something from my Secret Santa.

Well, again, it didn't happen. I finished my day empty-handed, and more than a little annoyed.

But then, guess what??? It got worse.

This guy named Lazy (okay, not his real name) stopped me on my way to my car.

L: "I am so glad I saw you. I gotta tell you something: I'm your Secret Santa, and I am no good at this gift thing!"

(Now, there's a headline for ya.)

L: "I don't know what to get you, so I am just going to give you one gift certificate to Chili's. Okay?"

Me: "Um, sure."

L: "Oh good, cause I have been worried. I just can't do all this small gift stuff. Also, I am just a sub, so I probably won't be here for the final gift exchange."

Wow. Now, HE is a catch. I got the best Secret Santa EVER! Not only is he uncomfortable participating in the first place, but he can't finish the gift exchange out at all! Meanwhile, he has got some kindhearted Secret Santa of his own who has steadily passed him Kit-Kats and sodas while he "worked" on my gift card.

So, BAH. Bah on Secret Santa, who is no longer a Secret and is hardly a Santa. Santa doesn't decide it is all too much of a hassle, and just throw money at the problem. He shops. (Yep. That is right. He is a man, and he shops.)

Tonight, I am going to wrap up the cute little ornament I got for my own recipient. I bet she will love it! And then, for good measure, I will also wrap up a huge Symphony bar and a coke to put in my own box.

Cause I love Secret Santa, remember? Even if I have to be my own.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sharkey said...

Let me guess . . . this guy is single, right? I can't imagine that some woman hasn't snatched him right up!

I guess you truly will find out that it's better to give than to receive. Also, the line about the chewed gum totally cracked me up.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Awwwww...poor thing! I didn't know you loved Secret Santa too! I would've taken over and sent little things had I known a GUY got your name.

My husband would be horrible at the Secret Santa thing too.

You KNOW that I love to give. Wrapping and delivering is the BEST PART!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

What a sad and pitiful Secret Santa performance from Lazy. Geez! I hope Easter works out better for you.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Rockstar Mom said...

This is why I stopped participating in Secret Santa when I worked in the schools. Year aftr year, I got Lazy's sister, aunt, mother and grandmother for my Secret Santa.

The worst gift by far was a home foot spa that took a huge 9 bazillion volt battery that they didn't include and I had to go to a sporting good store to find because it is the kind most people use when camping.

I always gave better than I got. Well....enjoy your symphany bar.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Kandace said...

"A chewed piece of gum"
Love it!

Better luck next year!

2:26 AM  
Blogger louann said...

I don't know how to call it---bad luck? I would feel a bit bad too or sad maybe. It is supposed to be all part of the fun in celebrating the Christmas spirit!

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home