< Upheaval: What soapbox?

Monday, April 07, 2008

What soapbox?

So, Korenna's doctor and I have gone round and round, but I think I have won the overall fight. He agreed (pshaw) to let me set up my own shot schedule for her. Now maybe I won't have a full-blown anxiety attack when I am taking her for a well checkup, thinking the nurse is going to use her thighs as pin-cushions for her Toxin-Bearing-Needles-of-Destruction.

A little dramatic?

Maybe so.

I teach special ed. I deal with the casualties. I know that shots aren't 100% safe. You cannot convince me otherwise.

Last week, I took my 11 pound baby to the doctor, and the nurse said lightly, "OOooohhhh! We are getting some shots today!"

I said, "How many?"

She consulted her little computer chart, and said, "Hmmm... looks like four today. Oh, wait. Nope... five."

FIVE.

Seriously? No thanks. I just spent nine months watching what I ate. I just spent nine months not drinking margaritas. I just spent nine months with severe allergies and lung infections because I chose not to medicate unneccesarily. We are not going to blow all of that because some stuff-suit at the American Academy of Pediatrics thinks she might get Hepatitis B in her first year of life. (She won't, cause she isn't sexually active and she doesn't use intravenous drugs.)

She's gonna get all of her shots. She will be totally caught up by the time she is 2. I would never jeopardize her health! I am just not doing it the way THEY want me to.

If you are a new mama, or an old mama, or a grandmama, please be informed. This isn't just about autism. It is about ADHD. It is about seizure disorders. It is about a lifetime of gastrointestinal disease. It is about allergies and asthma.

You have a right to challenge your doctor. They will tell you all those shots are okay, cause that is what they are trained to tell you! But, you have a right to gain peace of mind.

For information and a revised shot schedule, go to www.generationrescue.org. I also have one available that I can email you based on Dr. Ken Bock's book, Healing the New Childhood Epidemics.

Most importantly, don't be afraid to ask questions. Knowledge is power, mmmkay?

Thanks for listening.

(Steps down. Puts soapbox back in closet for another day.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

Yep, I am with you. We opted out of Hep B and Varicella when Caleb came along. We also asked for thimerosal-free vaccines for the rest of them. My firstborn has Asperger's Syndrome, and though I don't have any proof that shots had something to do with it, I don't have any proof that they didn't.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

I'm already hyperventilating about Ava's 18 month shots. I got scolded for not giving her 15 month shots (I actually don't remember even setting up a doc visit!) by Nurse Helen, the Shot Nazi.

Fortunately, the pediatrician listens to parents and I don't think it'll be a problem.

So are you following more along the lines of the Danish shot schedule? It seems to make sense.

You are a wonderful mother and being well-informed makes mothering even MORE scary, but safer for our kids.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Miss Shrina said...

Hi Amanda,
I am a frequent reader of your funny and insightful blog and am a new (starry eyed and bit freaked out) parent of a 7week old baby girl. Well we're about to have her 2mo. check up with the dreaded doses of vaccines in a week. Am wondering if you could please email me-- christismylordforever at yahoo dot com the vaccination schedule you have chosen and any tips/suggestions you have on how to win over the doctors on this when they have the medical "expertise/knowledge" when a new mom like me doesn't have. Also, wouldn't it become a problem with school enrollment to not get these vaccines. Thanks so much and God Bless! Shrina

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home