< Upheaval: Commentary on two songs

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Commentary on two songs

My favorite channel these days on my radio is the 80's station. I hear lots of music that takes me back to my youth, and I just think 80's music rocks.

However, I would like to discuss two songs that have recently gotten playtime. The first is by Men Without Hats, and it is called Safety Dance. What?!? What is a safety dance? The song opens with a surreal spelling of the word "safety," presumably for quiz purposes, then continues on with lyrics such as these:

We can dance, we can dance,
Everybody look at your hands...

Because looking at your extremities is an integral part of rhythmic movement?

The second song is also about dancing - more specifically, the Politics of Dancing. This by a band that must have truly been a one hit (hit?) wonder because I have never heard of them otherwise. Re-flex.

Anyway, did you know there were politics to dancing? Did you know there were politics to "ooo-oooh feeling good?"

I like Bananarama, Chicago, Journey, Cyndi Lauper, Billy Idol, Billy Ocean, and even the occasional song by Micheal Jackson. I think I am open-minded, but if you are singing about dancing, lets make sure people want to dance to it.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jennboree said...

I would rather have remained clueless as to the meanings of many 80's songs. Alas, I've learned that many were thinly veiled songs of drugs and sex.

Never did I know the meaning of Cyndi Lauper's "She Bop" till last year. ACK! I think even our mom sang that song along with us!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I too experienced my formative years during the 80's and love to have the songs take me back to yesteryear. Unfortunately, I never know who sings them or what the title is, or have transposed the lyrics into a completely different song. I have found that I'm not the only one who does this though, which is somewhat comforting. I had a co-worker that thought "Kyrie Liason" was "Carry a Laser". She also thought that the song that goes "I come from the land under" ,there is a stanza that says "she just smiled and gave me a vegamite sandwich". She thought it said "she gave me a bite of her sandwich". We had great laughs over this, although I'm not sure why. I guess you had to be there. Basically I'm trying to make the point that I have no idea which two songs you were mentioning, but I'm sure I would recognize them if I heard them. Do you remember the station Y95? That was THE rock station in the 80's, and my parents wouldn't let me listen to it, but they did take us almost every night to "White Water", (which was a huge waterpark in Garland. It would blast from their speakers all day, so that's where I gleaned what little 80's music knowledge I have.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

i am also a "carry a laser" fan, only correcting myself this year when i saw the title on my car display.

jenn: what does "she bop" mean? i assumed it was a reference to dancing - like don williams "i wanna bop with you, baby".... i guess i am wrong???

6:28 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Amanda-

I like the 80's as well... but all of the songs had some sort of hidden meaning... seems like anyway...

I am assuming you couldn't get halo scan up and running on my site?

11:06 AM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

sorry darlin but "she bop" is about self-love. If you get mah meanin...

Lauper herself fessed up to it.

Ew.

1:59 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

Y95? i LOVED Y95. oh, the memories.

though i have no idea what songs that ANY of you are talking about.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

poor jes. somewhere you commented that you just sing the bad words in song. (was that on MIM?) anyway, the only song that I do that to is "Mony, Mony" and i tend to THINK the crude Jitterbugs version every time i hear it. remember that song?

5:09 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

yes, i remember that song. and i still think the shoutings from jitterbugs everytime i hear it. still. to this day. i cannot hear the song and not think them.

in fact, roger thinks them now when he hears the song too, because i told him what we used to shout. and then, he asks me, "are you thinking about SFA?"

and i say "yes, the days of folly."

and i sort of laugh, and cringe at the same time, at the memory.

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home