< Upheaval: On the road, AGAIN???

Monday, June 27, 2005

On the road, AGAIN???

I drive an Explorer Sport-Track. It has a covered bed with a tailgate. This is information that is vital to the comprehension of the following narrative.

Background story:


Last August, when we still had money and I had a small uterus, Daniel and I went to England to stay with his brother. On the drive home from the Houston airport, I got a call on my cell phone.

Me: Hello?

Other guy: Hey, is this Amanda Johnson?

Me: (warily) Yes.

Other guy: Oh, good. We found your luggage on Highway 69 outside of Beaumont, and we were hoping you were still in the area so we could return it to you.

Me: REALLY? ohmigosh...Daniel, this guy has our luggage...

Anyway, we retrieved our luggage from the helpful man. Turns out that Daniel had not shut the tailgate on my truck, so our luggage was strewn up and down the highway like trash on a windy day. This really taught us a lesson. We always check the tailgate now.

Wait, did I say "WE????" Because, apparently, "WE" didn't learn a lesson. "WE" did the same thing leaving Fort Worth yesterday.

Daniel looked at me about fifteen minutes into our drive and said "Whoa! That guy just looked at me funny. Pull over on the shoulder!"

Thinking that he is having some mild aggression issues, I refuse to do so. Also, we are on I-20, and this is not the best place to "pull over on the shoulder."

He again tells me to pull over, and is acting quite panicky. I put my hazards on and pull onto the side of the road. He jumps out of the truck and I hear the tailgate shut, reopen, then shut again. Hmmmm....

He climbs sheepishly back into the passenger seat and says, "Uh... I left the tailgate down. But all our stuff is still back there."

WHAT? This is not a lesson that someone should have to be taught twice!

I told him that I had to blog about it, but I wouldn't say anything to him about this mistake for seven days. He has SEVEN DAYS to rig something on my truck that will tell me the tailgate is down. An alarm, or a mirror system, or a kaleidoscope. (Okay, periscope. I don't need to see 48 tailgates. Just one.) I don't care. It just has to be SOMETHING. If he hasn't done it by 12:17 on Sunday, July the 3rd, the yelling you hear will be from somewhere in East Texas where the wife's wrath will be fully released on the tail-gate-leaver-downer.

Consider yourself warned, baby. I know you read this blog!

7 Comments:

Blogger chirky said...

ahahahahaahaha!!! it happened TWICE? i think the first man was so nice to help you.

i think the second man is weird because he just gave daniel an odd look.

daniel, i hope (for your sake) that you have learned your lesson this time!

amanda, when daniel rigs your truck, be sure to take a picture of it so we can all see his handiwork!

3:52 PM  
Blogger GOD said...

madness

4:08 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

HAHA...I mean, OH Noooooo...

Well, in his defense, Daniel IS now having to remember for the two of you since your memory is on hiatus until at least a year after your son is born.

WHO forgot her cell phone at my house? Hmmmmmmmmm? :)

4:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's hilarious, especially giving him a deadline! You are a smart girl!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

jenn - we didn't even get out of the driveway before i remembered my cell phone, so don't even go there.

jes - i can just hope there is SOMETHING to take a picture of by sunday!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

ew - don't click on "god's" blog. it is lewd and crude...

5:34 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Okay, Teacher...you tell us not to click on "god's" blog because it is lewd and so I had to.

Ew.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home