< Upheaval: Money matters

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Money matters

*** Update: Daniel contacted our car insurance guy, and after some research, the guy discovered that we have been overpaying for several years. Therefore, we have several hundred dollars credit, and we don't have to pay car insurance until after December! Even then, our rate will be $20 cheaper than before. :)


When I decided to quit my job, Daniel and I had to revamp our budget. We have cut back our cell phone plans, our cable at home, our landline phone plan, and our auto insurance. Today, Daniel went to Austin to try to get us a different car so our notes wouldn't be as high.

We have had many discussions about how we are going to make it on one income. Since Daniel is the money man, most of the stress falls on him. I have steadily maintained that since this is what God wants me to do (stay home and go back to college), He will provide for us. That is easy for me to SAY, but maybe my heart hasn't believed it all the way. Daniel said, "God just isn't going to give us money." But I have said, "Yes, He will!"

This is how God gave us money this week. :)

1) I found a dollar in my Bible. Now, I seriously don't keep money there. Daniel and I cracked up when we found that.

2) I found an insurance policy that will cover Baby and I. It was going to be $485 to add us to Daniel's work policy and I have found two other policies that were about $330 a month. But since I am going to be a student again, for $125 a month, I can get basic health insurance for us both. This is a blessing because we were considering dropping health insurance on me for a year, and just finding something for the baby.

3) Daniel bought a car today for $7,000 under the sticker price. They gave us more than we thought they would on our trade. Our car note is going to drop about $125, not to mention insurance and gas money.

4) A bridesmaid dress that I have to wear in March is on sale from $150 to $99. But wait! When the bride called to reserve them, they said the dress was clearanced for $49! Whoever got out that cheap being a bridesmaid???

I want to write this down because it is so easy to get lost in the daily routine and not remember how God has blessed us. I will keep you posted! I am sure He has only just begun!

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, don't forget that as long as you are a student, you are entitled to use your school's Student Health Center. It's usually free or very, very cheap. Less than a copay would be at a doctor's office. (I manage one of these and I think they are really good for students.)

6:43 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

you are right! we call our student health clinic the Quack Shack. :)

7:02 PM  
Blogger JLR said...

I had some baaaaad experiences at our school's quack shack (that's what we called it, too). It got to be so that when the doctor walked in the room, I wanted to blurt out, "I really am sick, I'm not pregnant, and I don't need penicillin. What else ya got?"

Thanks for posting this. I always know that God will find us the money that we need, but sometimes it's hard to keep faith. Thanks for the encouragement!

8:45 PM  
Blogger Ginger Taylor said...

Story of God's provision:

Last year in the spring we found out our little one was autistic. I quit work to see to his care. By summer we were completly broke and our business didn't really work with just my husband doing it (we were partnering up until then).

On our 7th annavasary in July we only had 13 dollars to our name and didn't know when the next client would get around to paying a bill. We went and got burgers and sat in a parking lot on our date.

It was the saddest date ever. We discussed selling the house and moving, but that was not even really an option.

I decided that God was just going to have to provide somehow. Scott's comment was, "well I don't know what kind of 'magic money' that you think God is going to just drop on us".

The next day we were opening the mail and I got a card from one of my best friends from High School. I opened it and a check for a thousand dollars fell out.

She is a single mom and she was in the middle of raising money for a missions trip, but she said that God laid it on her to send us the check.

In tears, I handed the check to Scott and said, "here is your 'magic money'".

Neither of us has questioned that God was not going to provide for us since then.

And despite razor thin margins, we are still ok a year later.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

jjb (or whatever your name is today) - did you go to my same school?! we, also, used to get penicillin for everything, even pregnancy! lol...

ginger - that is an awesome story. i love your site and thank you for visiting mine!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

I think that is probably the hardest part about life is dealing with the whole money issue. It is such a struggle for so many people, and it changes so frequently based on the situation, etc. It is amazing to me how God works in mysterious ways, and how He will provide one way or another. Hang in there, and keep remembering all these wonderful ways in which you've been blessed because it will make you all the more appreciative! :)

9:18 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

sweet! how encouraging - i love this post! and ginger's comment! thank you for sharing how God has provided for you. i need more of these stories! :)

9:20 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

This was a fantastic post. We are in the process of planning for what changes will take place when our family grows. Step one was to move - done. Step two is to try to pay off his truck - payments begin doubling this month. The rest will be by faith, because the numbers sure aren't adding up to me. He has been so faithful to provide in the past, I am nervous and yet excited as to what He will do when the whole process begins. Meanwhile, I will learn from you and Daniel!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

eeek! i am not sure we are the type of people to learn from, but i sure will keep posting about God's blessings! :)

12:23 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

several hundred dollars of credit? overpaying for several years? and he never bothered to tell you about it until NOW?

i guess God knew what he was doing! :) that's wonderful news!

11:27 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

yes! we were supposed to be getting the Platinum rate, but for a couple of years a claim has been on our record. Right when we got married this drunk man hit my car while it was parked at our apartment complex. Our insurance company never had to pay anything, so they shuold have removed the claim, but they just did this week! Therefore, we get backpay for their mistake. :)

8:01 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Wonderful post! We have been a single-income family for eleven years now, and I can truly say that sometimes it is the scariest thing in the world, but alltimes it is the best decision we've ever made. God has never failed us - not even once, although the biggest lesson we have learned is that our timetable is definitely not God's timetable! We will be praying for you and all the mom's that post here on this site.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home