< Upheaval: Two new friends

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Two new friends

Demetrius and Kathleen.

These are the people who called me today, disturbing my naptime.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't HATE Demetrius or Kathleen. In fact, I know that Jesus loves these people as much as He loves me, regardless of their chosen profession, so I try to extend the same grace. Sort of.

Neither one of them wanted to talk to me, they were more interested in Daniel (or Donnelle, as Demetrius put it. A job requirement for telemarketers is that they lack the ability to pronounce even the most common names in America). Well, Daniel and Donnelle are sleeping. They worked last night, serving and protecting our community from danger.

"Is there a better time I can call?" each one asked. (Their scripts were surprisingly similar, even though they were from different companies: Chase and Bank of America.)

No. I don't think so.

I think the best time to call is right now, during my nap. Another alternative though, would be dinnertime. Then, next best, bathtime, causing me to run from the bathroom naked, dripping water on the carpet and giving my neighbors an unwanted show through the front windows.

Okay, so I didn't really say that.

I asked to be "removed from their list," prompting twin unstoppable barages of prepared script that informed me that by doing this, I would miss future opportunities with this company. In the same breath, I was assured that it would take no longer than thirty days from this exact date to be removed from the list.

Whew.

Do you see the grace? Do you feel the love oozing from my pores?

3 Comments:

Blogger chirky said...

next time, just try telling them that Donnelle has died and that probate law requires that you be immediately removed from the list.

is it true? i don't know. but considering they can't pronounce simple names, i doubt they would know either.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

we have caller ID! but if i don't answer, they will keep calling and calling and calling and leaving long silent messages on my answering machine.

4:53 PM  
Blogger JLR said...

You should do what my grandmother does. When they ask "how are you today," she launches into a prepared speech that begins with, "well, I'm not doing so well today," and ends many details later. They do not call back.

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home