< Upheaval: Another shopping expedition

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Another shopping expedition

Alright. I realize that this is the second time that I have posted on this, and many of you probably think I should change my shopping habits. I would like for you to realize that I live in a town that is (.) this big, and my options are limited. So, I continue to torment myself.

Yesterday, my friend and I went shopping at Hobby Lobby. I am in the market for some baby announcements, and thought I would get a jump start on that job.

Scrapbooking stuff is half-price this week, so we were browsing stickers and 12 X 12 paper. I found several printed papers that I liked and I carefully counted each one out. 23 pages is what I ended up with because I got all that they had of the three prints I like.

As we neared the register, I became saddened by the thought of the cashier's dirty hands on my papers. I counted them again, carefully, so that she wouldn't have to.

When it was my turn, I announced: I have 23 of these 12X12 papers.

She said: Okay. Aren't they 4 for $1? (Remember, Hobby Lobby does not have scanners! They have registers from 1981!)

I (hesitantly) said: No, ma'am. They are 2 for $1. (Honesty, people. That is the key!)

She said: Oh. Well, lemme see.

(insert abrasive Psycho knife-stabbing tune here)

The cashier LICKED HER FINGER, and, oblivious to my dry heaving, touched every single paper in my stack as she counted them.

I was hyperventilating, and my friend was laughing hysterically at some Party Poppers she found at the checkout display. Not that Party Poppers are funny, but she had to have something to distract herself from my reaction.

My pretty papers each had a bent corner with a tiny smudge of checker-saliva-and-dirt.

The cashier looked up and said: I got 24.

Are. You. Kidding. Me?

I could have been dishonest and let her charge me half of what the paper was worth, and she is going to fight me over ONE SHEET.

I said: No, ma'am. There are 23. I counted them twice.

She said: Well, I can count 'em again...

And I said, dejectedly: Noooo...that's okay.

Once again, I left Hobby Lobby close to tears. So, when your cute little announcement comes in the mail, handle it with care. And you don't have to keep it. I'm not keeping mine.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can just see her finger moving in slow motion toward her mouth as a look of horror comes across your face and you yell, "NOOOOOOOOOOOO . . . ."

Thanks for the link and the nice comment in your sidebar. So glad you didn't mention my nose-picking habit.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

it was definitely sad. i am debating trying to return the paper and explaining to the management why i am doing so. :(

grosser than the fact that she touched my papers, is that her finger was already gray from handling an entire shift's worth of money (which is nastier than the bottom of my feet after running outside barefoot) and people's purchases. and she put that IN HER MOUTH.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

You run outside barefoot? The bravery just doesn't end with you, does it?

I won't even notice the gray smudge on the edge of the pretty paper announcing my nephew's arrival. But I will have to giggle when I remember the blog about it. :)

9:17 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Arrgh. The cashier doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer. And licking your fingers after touching money all day!?!? OH THE HORROR!! I was a bank teller when I was in college, and you could practically scrape the layer of dirt off my hands after handling money all day. And I washed them frequently. WHAT IS SHE THINKING?!?

7:48 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

hmmm...maybe i should start going shopping for you in the mega-city, where people have clean hands and don't drip their saliva all over the pieces of scrapbooking paper.

and! it's 1/2 off this week? hmmmm...

i think that i should print out your post today and mail it to the Hobby Lobby in Nac.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

EW...EW..... EWWWWWW! That is so gross... I think I would have told the teller you can charge 23 at the price I told you or 24 for your price! My goodness. One sheet of paper!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

i love how much sympathy i am getting from the scrapbooking community. HELLO! please don't mess up my ridiculously expensive paper!

jes - do send it. and find my other story and send that too.

syd - too bad i didn't think about saying that. :( that woulda showed HER, huh?

9:44 AM  
Blogger Melinda said...

That's just soooo very gross!! Plus where is the cost benefit in the whole scrapbooking idea anyways? Espcially if the idiots who sell the stuff don't understand anything about the possible benefits (Such as pretty paper)...hum...well I'm sorry that they were so gross. :)

11:20 AM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Perhaps Jes is right and we should be on the lookout in the big cities for your scrapbooking needs. I'm sure the diligent workers at Micheal's understand the need for bent-free pretty paper.

12:05 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

oh, goodie. they are printing right now, and i'm mailing them today! :)

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh gross!! does she not have a love for paper herself?? why is she there if not!!! that's so wrong, I would take it back!! (well, probably not, but it sounds good, right!!)

4:05 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

jes - did you mail them by themselves or do a sassy cover letter too?? i gotta know what to expect cause i might be banished forever from the store...

5:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is something that drives me nuts, when those cashiers do stuff like that. It ruins my whole day. We have a wonderful Hobby Lobby here, so anytime you want to visit, we can go count paper!

6:59 PM  
Blogger YankeeAmanda said...

Ew, gross!!! I came across your blog while doing random blog surfing and noticed your due date ticker. Looks like we're about at the same place in pregnancy. I'm 36 weeks and I also have been in the market for baby announcements. So far, nothing I've seen has been cute or inexpensive enough for our tastes. We'll see - I may just have to do them myself.

Anyway, cool blog - and cool name! :)

8:39 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Love the "Outing of the Sploggers" and then proceeds to splog you. Nice.

RE: Announcements. Do them yourself! Take an adorable pic, make it black/white, upload pic on computer and put the info somewhere on it. Then it can be printed on card stock and PRESTO-MUNDO! cute announcements!

8:58 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

how exhausting! i just removed 5 stupidspammercomments from this post. arg.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

I'm going to start spamming. The invite will be interesting and cause people to think it ISN'T a spam. Like it is a legit opportunity to purchase an island in Arizona.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home