< Upheaval: Routine matters

Friday, December 02, 2005

Routine matters

Dillon is a pretty structured little man. He really likes his routine, and he sticks to it daily, despite our bumbling efforts to coordinate his schedule with ours.

He has recently added a new component to his nighttime routine that I feel compelled to share with you.
"My Bedtime Routine" by Dillon

7:45 pm Begin making whining sounds.
Let mom bounce me and walk around with me to make me quiet.
8:15 pm Bathtime. I like to pee-pee in there, and sometimes even poo.
8:30 pm Scream bloody murder when I have to get out of the tub and Mom or Dad slathers me with lotion.
8:45 pm Get my last bottle of the day.
8:57 pm Drift off to sleep.

Here is the new part:

9:43 pm Wake up and start grunting.
9:44 pm Commence crying, especially if Mom is taking a bath.
9:47 pm Mom rubs my tummy and talks to me quietly, which does nothing but make me madder.
9:50 pm Mom picks me up and I get instantly quiet.
9:54 pm After approximately four minutes, I burp a small amount of goo onto Mom's shoulder, and then promptly go to sleep with my face in the goo.
9:55 pm Mom places me back in my crib and begins drum practice. I will not wake up again because, now I am really ASLEEP!!!

I think the burping of the goo has become an integral part of his nighttime routine. He doesn't truly go to sleep until he has done this. Great! At least I know what to expect!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jennboree said...

Hey, at least he's got a schedule! At least this week. I'm sure he'll tweak his routine every few days just to keep you on your toes.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Have you eaten something particulary different this week that he could be reacting to in this scheduled way??

4:23 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

i'm not sure about this schedule. the peeing and pooping in the bathwater took me off-guard. the burping i understand, but oh my- the goo?

amanda, you're giving me a very accurate picture of parenthood. i'm not sure that is a good thing. ;)

5:13 PM  
Blogger YankeeAmanda said...

Yeah, Jadyn burps up goo, but by her last feeding, she's too asleep to even burp. You might try burping him half way through his last bottle, cause I bet the gas is waking him up. Just a thought.

Jadyn is on a fairly regular schedule too, and thank God, we are getting 8+ hours of sleep a night. Of course, we're entering a growth spurt, so we'll see how she handles it.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Also, if you haven't already, try putting a Vicks Cool Mist humidifier in his room. I had to in order to keep Isabella's nostrils from shutting down, keeping her from her blessed paci.

** NOTE**

Do NOT get the Hunter cool mist. It gurgles like a stopped up toilet.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

okay. i tried to burp him even though he was out like a light. he burped a little, but didn't wake up last night!

thanks yankee-a!

also, jes: there is SO much more i could share. :)

9:48 PM  
Blogger YankeeAmanda said...

Hey, we amanda mamas gotta stick together. Glad I could help!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Wow. How very different from my nightly routine!

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home