< Upheaval: Another topic in pop culture

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Another topic in pop culture

It has been three years (THREE YEARS!) since Dixie Chicks vocalist Natalie Maines opened her beak to a British crowd, denouncing our president and prompting a slew of protests of their music by many Americans. Our local country radio stations didn't play ANYTHING by them for over a year, and I am sure that happened in other places as well.

Now, I think she probably would be better off having kept her mouth shut, but I didn't run outside and drive over my cds with a John Deere. I like the Dixie Chicks!

But, what do you think? Can they recover? They haven't had a new album since then, and I don't even think they are touring.

Also, if you were one of the other Chicks, would you still begrudge Natalie for tossing their whole career away? Because, essentially, that is what she did. With a few words she took all of their hard work and booted it right to the curb.

Hmph. I am SO glad I am not a celebrity. Sheesh.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennboree said...

I always liked the Dixie Chicks but what she said was inappropriate at the time and place she said it. The other Chicks swear they would've said it too, which is a lie.

I dunno. They will not recover their career if they don't apologize in some way. Country fans are generally die-hard patriots. I read that Natalie said she never even intended to sing country anyway.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

What prompted this topic? Were you going through old cds or something? I have a new cd... do you have a cd of the concert we went to? If not... want a copy?

9:12 PM  
Blogger koyama said...

I love there stuff. Where was I when they were dixie chick talking about the president?

1:52 AM  
Blogger koyama said...

Oops I meant THEIR music. And, I am not sure that I would STOP listening to their music. I might. Even though I am Canadian.

1:53 AM  
Blogger Trinity13 said...

I hated what Natalie said, but I still think she and the Dixie Chicks are very talented. I love their music!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I never really liked them and that was icing on the cake for me.

That and "Goodbye, Earl" and "Sin Wagon". ugh.

7:20 AM  
Blogger TexSport Publications said...

Yes, they have the right to write and sing what they want, and we have the right not to listen to it.

They need to entertain us and keep their political messages to themselves if they want to get me to buy their CDs.

I expect way better from Texas girls and so do many others in Texas.

I call this the "Monkey Syndrome."

Check out my blog for posts and this and other issues in today's society

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home