< Upheaval: A new pack of markers

Monday, August 13, 2007

A new pack of markers

School is right around the corner, and I am giddy!

I absolutely love the start of school. I know that is very nerdy, but you really couldn't expect less from me, right? Today, Daniel, Dillon and I went to my school to arrange my furniture and get some things ready.

Sadly, I am such a meticulous, organized person that everything was where it needed to be in about 30 minutes. I didn't quite get the buzz I was looking for that comes from a hard day at work in the classroom, but it was a start.

This year is going to be really different from last year. First of all, I am going from five kids to nine! My kids' labels (I KNOW! I hate to call it that, but I am just trying to give you a rough idea, here!) range from autism, to behavior disorders, to visual impairment, to a very vague "learning disability." And several kids exhibit combinations of the above!

Four of last years kids are back, and I am really eager to see them.

Special education is so rewarding. I cannot imagine going back to general education after the experiences that I have had.

I hope my kiddos are excited, too! New haircuts, new shoes, new (maternity, for me!) clothes, new markers, and a clean slate - I can't wait!

6 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

You are such a nerd! Oh but I remember those days. I used to teach a form of special ed too, in my past life. I'd get so excited about all the new things I'd get (clothes, markers, etc) but when the day actually came I'd be so nervous I'd spend half the morning in the bathroom. Hmmm... sorry... that was probably TMI. Oh well.

8:49 PM  
Blogger louann said...

Wow, 9 kids! You must be such a wonderful teacher - the enthusiasm you have would be one I would want my kid's teacher to have.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Allie said...

You are so organized! I haven't even BEGUN to work on my room. It's so overwhelming walking into a new, empty classroom, and trying to figure out how to make it your own. But, I shall try!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Amanda? Organized? You have no idea... Those skills did not rub off on me, unfortunately.

Hope Dillon had fun running all around your classroom! Did he swing in that hammock thingie?

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how wonderful that you are so excited! Your enthusiasm reminds me of TJ's special ed teacher - er- former special ed teacher. They had to let Mrs. S. go because there will be fewer kids on the spectrum attending this year (go figure). We are very said, but hoping we get someone fabulous like you!

Wow! That will be an exciting challenge for you to have so many with such varying needs! I'm sure it will be a year full of adventure!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Hi Amanda! This is Stacey Haas here! Chana Rees told me about your blog and told me it is a MUST read! I can't wait to take some more time to read around and catch up on your life. I'm so glad to hear you are a special ed teacher. That's what I started off going to SFA for, but went a different direction instead. I was so excited to hear you have a little boy and another one on the way! I'm so glad Chana sent me your blog address. I'd love to stay up with you!

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home