< Upheaval: Jenny Who?

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Jenny Who?

I never thought I would be one to say "Oh my gosh! Did you see that show with Jenny McCarthy on it? Wasn't it great?"

But now I am.

She was on yesterday's Oprah, and now I am totally impressed with her. Her son was diagnosed with autism a few years ago, and she is one of the few celebrities to speak out about it. She is eloquent and knowledgeable. She is passionate without being overly emotional. She has definite ideas about the origin and treatment of her son's autism, and is not afraid to say it, and on national television at that! Kudos to ABC and Oprah for not censoring her (too much) so that she could say what she believes.

Jenny McCarthy believes that her son, Evan, is on the road to recovery. She has found therapies that work for her son. She does not say that there is a magic cure, but that you have to try everything, cause every kid is different.

This is such a reality check from "recovery stories" I have heard before. I have heard of kids who have no residual trace of autism. This does not offer real hope for parents. Sometimes that seems too far to go, especially when you are in the depths of hell at the beginning of this diagnosis.

Evan still flaps his hands. He still does not process things as quickly as others. He still has some autistic quirks, but he is getting better, and that is the main thing. He is becoming less involved in his own private world, and more aware of the world around him.

Anyway, if you didn't catch the show, try to view parts of it on youtube, or catch it on a rerun. I think it is worth your time, and hey, it is Jenny McCarthy, so how hard can it be to watch. Right?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennboree said...

I too was very impressed with her. And the show was truly enlightening. Perhaps hearing it from a mother with an autistic child helped?

You're right, her knowledge and delivery were exceptional, especially for those who may just have found out their child has autism.

And I learned something. Never say a child is autistic. He/she has autism.

2:50 PM  
Blogger kristi said...

Yes, I watched and I blogged about it. My son has PDD, a mild form of autism.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home