< Upheaval: Pregnancy issues?

Monday, November 05, 2007

Pregnancy issues?

I don't get weird cravings and I don't have morning sickness.

But what I do have is almost worse. At least, psychologically. It is an agonizing, unexplainable, invisible ITCH between all of my fingers. I am entering my third month of itchy fingers. And it is keeping me up at night. Seriously!

I wake up nightly clawing at the skin between my fingers. At NOTHING. Cause there is nothing there! Just invisible itch.

Before you start spouting remedies, lemme tell you what I have tried:

1. plain lotion with socks on my hands to keep myself from scratching
2. Lamisil, some sort of athlete's foot cream in case it was an invisible fungus
3. Preparation H, in case it was a hemorrhoid between my fingers
4. Benedryl cream, in case it was an allergy
5. Aquaphor, in case it was just really dry skin
6. nothing, in case it was an overload of all of the above
7. I only use unscented, plain soap for hand washing
8. no finger jewelry
9. drying hands on paper towels instead of cloth towels
10. drying hands on cloth towels instead of paper towels

NOW.

Do you have any suggestions? For my sanity?

5 Comments:

Blogger Jennboree said...

I think it is so funny that you've started with the weird body issues that I had when pregnant with Ava.

Sadly, I've forgotten how I dealt with the itchy finger. Maybe I just scratched endlessly then became more obsessed with the child lodged in my pelvis and the pain from that.

After Baby is born I want you to experiment. Try Burt's Bees on your lips, wait until 2am and look in the mirror. Get back to me.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I am SO sorry you are having this weird, strange, crazy pregnancy issue! I must say I have never heard of anyone else ever saying they've had this problem. Maybe because they didn't want people to think they were strange, or maybe because you TRULY are the only one. Which ever it is, I wish I had some sort of advice to offer, but I don't! SORRY!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Carrie White said...

I'm a friend of Stacey P's. She emailed me your blog and asked for help. I'm not a doctor, I just play one on T.V. haha But my husband is an Ob/Gyn. Here are his suggestions:

Safe during ANY trimester:
1. Oral Benedryl, take at night since it will make you tired
OR
2. Claritin or Zyrtec any time of day -- will not make you tired.
3. "Evening Primrose Oil" gel caps -- ask at your local pharmacy, it's an over-the-counter treatment.

The last suggestion is recommended only during 2nd or 3rd trimester (some say limited amount in 1st trimester OK too):
Hydrocortisone cream -- get the strongest you can buy over-the-counter. It's a weak steroid and is safe during pregnancy. You might want to ask a pharmacist for help locating it.

I have had the EXACT same problem, but not during pregnancy. It affected my hands AND feet and ONLY at night. I even went to a foot doctor (couldn't get in with a dermatologist quickly enough) and he seemed to think it was an allergic reaction to something. I have never figured it out and it still re-occurs every once in a while. I'm feeling for you -- it's maddening.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Another friend of mine's suggestion:
"My advice to your friend is Icy Hot. My husband used it on his legs when he had itching a while back. I've been using it on my arm when I've had itching badly lately due to some stress. It feels good to rub it on and the heat seems to melt the itching away rather quickly."

2:25 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

thanks for all the advice!

i am going with the "no jewelry" and possibly the "evening primrose oil," probably cause that sounds fancy, and we all know pregnant ladies need to feel fancy every once in a while.

i'll keep you posted.

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home