< Upheaval: Word's out

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Word's out

So, there is a bag somewhere missing a cat. I may as well tell you, too.

I am resigning from my job in May. That is a really big deal! I love teaching special ed, and I love all of my babies. I am really going to miss them so much! I get a knot in my throat just thinking about it.

But something good is coming, as well.

This fall, a friend and I are opening a school for kids with autism. Our community has limited resources and I feel like this is a need that our public school system just doesn't begin to meet. The closest clinic or school that specializes in autism is almost 100 miles away!

At the public school where I teach, next year, my class could potentially have 14 kids! With two teachers! Seriously!!! That means no one-on-one instruction and my job is reduced to nothing more than glorified babysitting. Opening my own school gives me control over class size. It allows me to circumvent the bureaucracy of public school. It allows me to participate in early intervention, instead of waiting until the child has floundered for three years with no services.

I know that this is what God wants me to do. I have never wanted to be a teacher for the money, but I do want to be able to contribute to my family, and I would like reasonable compensation for my work. So, I'm asking for your prayers. We need money. Funding. Donations. Grants. I am asking, but so far, we haven't gotten any answers.

So, what do you think? Suggestions? Ideas? Let me know. I'm open. And so is my wallet.

9 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

What a wonderful work! May God bless you in what you are taking on--your passion for helping these kids certainly shines through. I don't have any fundraising advice, but I will definitely say a prayer for clarity in that area!

7:17 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I'm so happy that cat was finally let out! This will surely be a wonderful adventure for you and your partner. I have no fundraising advice either, but I'm sure there's a street corner where you can push drugs. Maybe Daniel can tell you some prime locations and I hear they can really make some good money. :) I'll be praying for you.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Oooh, the lactating drug dealer.

Nice.

I'm bursting with pride for you, Sis! The money will come when and how you least expect it!

9:23 PM  
Blogger Erica Logan said...

I am impressed by and excited for you! You're one cool lady. As for fundraising, I've done my fair share within the Christian community, but have never dealt with organization funding from foundational grants. But, if you need to raise a personal salary or intend for it to be a non-profit type thing, let me know. It's a lot of work, but God pulls it off all the time!

1:53 AM  
Blogger Jemmers said...

This is amazing!! I am so excited for you!!!!! May God bless all of your efforts and the children He brings to you!

Praying for you!

9:37 AM  
Blogger YankeeAmanda said...

I am so excited for you! This is awesome! I can't wait to hear how it all shakes out, and I will be praying for donors to abound!

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda, I think this is perfect! I could totally see God using this in big ways in the lives of these kids and in the lives of their parents, siblings, etc.

My ideas:
-contact your city and ask how to apply for a grant
-contact your county and ask how to apply for a grant
-contact Jenny McCarthy :) and see if she has resources to support you. i mean, yes, it's a long shot, but maybe someone on her staff will respond in a helpful way!
- apply for a state grant
- apply for a federal grant

so. basically my idea is to apply for grants. i really know nothing about how to do that, and i'm sure that it's already occurred to you, but I'm nothing if not Captain Obvious. :)

1:23 PM  
Blogger louann said...

Oh Amanda I think that is GREAT! Taking that first step will be the hardest, but fear not because I know the Lord will bless you and your friend.

I will be praying for you.

5:07 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

oooh! thank you guys for your suggestions and prayers.

i really like the idea of selling drugs and applying for grants. :)

actually, i have applied for two grants and am working on a solicitation letter for some local corporations. i have made some contacts that may turn out to be promising business relationships, and may possibly lead to donations.

keep letting me know of ideas! and keep praying. :) i will keep you posted.

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home