< Upheaval: The Truth

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Truth

So, at two-and-a-half, I feel that Dillon is old enough now to know The Truth:

Grownups don't pee in their pants. They do it in the toilet.

The only reason I didn't tell him The Truth before was because I am extremely lazy. It is a lot easier to change a diaper than it is to stockpile M&M's, purchase expensive big boy underwear with huge decals on the booty, make sticker charts, line up bribery Thomas-the-Trains on the bathroom windowsill, and constantly quiz a toddler about the state of his bladder - "Do you need to go potty? How about now? Do you need to go some more?"

We are five days in, and he has had dry underwear as long as he gets an hourly reminder. (So how long do I do this? The reminding, I mean? I am pretty sure I have other things to do besides randomly grabbing his "area" and saying "Are you still dry? Let's go potty!")

I thought we pretty much had it under control enough that he could wear big boy underwear to school. He did great, for the most part.

I picked him up today and this is what he said:

"I... I... I... I... I... I... (only Kanye West stutters with more grace) I... I... POO POO IN MY BIG BOY THOMAS DA TWAIN UNNERWEAR!"

Uh.

Oh, yeah. About that... there is more to The Truth, sweetheart.

7 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

Ha! Good luck with the potty training process. Neither of my little ones fully grasped The Truth until after they turned three, sadly. May you be more successful!

6:27 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Potty training isn't easy for anyone involved or within smelling distance.

It is true that most kids don't "get it" until right at 3 or shortly after. Just don't get mad at him! You might end up with a kid who requires Exlax to complete the deal cuz he's too scared to let it go! Just ask Cathleen.

9:17 AM  
Blogger louann said...

Good luck with that! I'm guilty for being so "on-and-off" about the whole thing. But I think 2 1/2 is a good age to start.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Ugh, thank god I'm not the only one doing this right now. My 3.5 year old is on Day 7 of the Truth. The reminders are constant. Without it, he's wet. Since my clear little girl, age 20 mos is showing interest, I'm doing them both. We haven't been out of the house in a week, I SWEAR! Hang in there, I'm sure this will fade with time and we'll have very Truthful little offspring.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I will give the same advice my daddy gave me about my first born when we were potty training: Don't worry. He'll get it. I promise he won't be graduating from high school in diapers. I am on the 3rd child's potty training and he is a month from being 3. The other two were 3 as well.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Daniel thinks it would be SO much easier to just wait till Dillon is five to do this. Ha!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Could you imagine the man poops Dillon would produce at 5? PHEW!

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home