< Upheaval: A shot in the heart

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

A shot in the heart

I love my babies. Every year, I fall in love with them. I love to hold their fat, grubby hands. I love to listen to their stories-that-make-no-sense. I love to anticipate their answers, only to hear something SO off the wall. I love to hear them accidentally call me "Mama" or "Nanna," and then I love to watch them turn red when they realize that they did that.

Because of my disproportionate affection for my students, today was HARD! It was the free immunization clinic at my school. Now, first, a little background. Public pre-k in Texas is grant funded. Not all kids can go - you usually have to qualify either by 1) speaking a language other than English primarily in the home or 2) being financially challenged. So, to put it bluntly, a free immunization clinic is RIGHT UP THEIR ALLEY. Fortunately, I only had a few who even needed immunizations. Unfortunately, I had to take those few to get their shots.

I have known about this for several days. I have had knots in my stomach, heartburn, insomnia, bad dreams, and severe anxiety. Last night, I went to the dollar store in search of an appropriate peace offering. I knew these boys would be so mad at me. I finally bought a few metal toy cars and came home to immerse myself in my misery.

This morning, my boys were so happy. They were so glad to go on a special trip with me. Each one held one of my hands, and one of them swung the bag from the dollar store.

"Where are we going?" and "What is in your bag?" were the topics of conversation on our short walk to the nurse's office. I sat them down once we got there and told them what we were going to do. They were so excited about picking out a car from my bag that I don't think they heard me. Each one took a turn sitting in my lap. I hugged them and buried my face in their little necks while the nurse prepped their arms. My hands were shaking and my stomach hurt. I didn't want to see my babies hurt!

Well, I am a sucker. They did great - not a single tear between the two of them, and one of them had to get three shots in a row. They got their cars, AND candy from the nurses, and TONS of sympathy from me, and they ran out to the playground punching each other in the arm to prove how tough they were.

At the conclusion of this emotional event, I meekly took a piece of candy from the nurses' dish and went to my classroom to lie down. I felt like I had gotten the shots! Can you imagine me with my own children?

5 Comments:

Blogger Jennboree said...

I absolutely love that you love your kids like that. You are what makes teachers so precious to our children. THANK YOU

I hope Bella will have at least one teacher in her life who will care as much.

BTW, I don't think you'll have as much difficulty with your own baby. As a momma, you get pretty tough!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I don't know about that getting tough thing with your own baby. I can't stand taking Micheal to get shots... Jonathan has to go and hold him down since I can't. He gets so mad that it's easier for Jonathan to hold him when he gets the shots, and Mommy to be the one to hug him and hold him when it's all over...

8:16 AM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Okay, maybe one parent learns to be tougher. Heath can't handle Bella getting shots so I don't let him go :)

The only prob about being the one to comfort her after shots, Bella immediately starts to pull mommy's shirt up, down and sideways to nurse. Babies are strong and very determined!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

I'm sorry...does everyone else have a life or somethin'?

Hello? Anyone? Bueller?

2:42 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

ever since i read this post yesterday, i've wanted to comment.

except i can't think of anything related or interesting to say, so i just didn't say anything at all.

please excuse my brain for now and evermore.

thankyouverymuch.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home