< Upheaval: To lie or not to lie

Monday, March 07, 2005

To lie or not to lie

A friend and I were having a casual conversation a few weeks ago, and she happened to mention a weakness she has - lying. She told me that she cannot go a day without telling a lie. I was floored! I mean, she told me she was my friend! Was that a lie?

(Notice how my concern is self-centered.)

Since that talk, I have thought about telling lies. She didn't say she told a big whopper every day, she said she cannot stop telling small, white lies. She just has to. I have thought about that, and discovered (to my dismay!) that I AM A LIAR, TOO!

"No!" you think. "Not Amanda!" But wait. These are some lies that I told today. Just today, in a small amount of time.

1) Jason brought me a fistful of weeds from the playground. We have a rule about leaving plants outside, and he knows that rule. I told him he had to throw them away because they make me sneeze. NO THEY DON'T! I JUST DIDN'T WANT WEEDS ON MY DESK! (10:30am)

2) A person asked me if my soup was okay at lunch, and I said it was. BUT IT WASN'T! IT WAS GROSS! (11:15am)

3) I told someone that I would call my State Representative today about HB#2, which involves school schedules. I HAVE NO INTENTION OF DOING THAT! (2:30pm)

4) About twelve people asked how I was feeling, and I said I was doing great. NO I AM NOT! MY LOWER BACK HURTS! (all day long)

So, does this make me pathological? Can I stop lying? As an experiment, I am going to not lie tomorrow. AT ALL, as much as I can help it. Is that going to make me brutally honest or really, really whiney? Probably whiney, but we shall see...

5 Comments:

Blogger chirky said...

so, how are you holding up?

9:39 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

so far i have done okay. daniel thought i was really whiney when i told him what i really thought this morning, so i am not sure if he likes the "new" me.

maybe not-lying doesn't mean not-holding-back-on-saying-what-you-think.

10:06 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

we should all try this sometime. sort of like those "20 questions about you" emails that get passed around and eventually posted on websites, except this would be the "An Original White Lie by Amanda" that could be passed around, and everyone would have to link to this post showing that it was the original.

Remind me of this idea next time i complain about not having anything to blog about. :)

3:27 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

are you saying my post was a blow-off post? are you saying i have hit the bottom of the barrel with this post, the likes of which you MIGHT repeat if you have NOTHING else to blog about???

geez, be honest, why don't ya?

6:26 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

haha, no, NOT AT ALL. i think it's an excellent idea! that's why i want to steal it from you!

but i only want to steal it when i can't think of anything else to blog about, because then it'll make me look like i have something to blog about.

you see how this is all about me, right? ;)

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home