< Upheaval: Finaleas projectus

Monday, December 05, 2005

Finaleas projectus

My baby brother has always (ALWAYS!) wanted my help in school. English papers, anything requiring reading a book, and miscellaneous things along the way.

Every time, I gladly cleared my schedule and helped him out. Until he stopped asking. Weirdly enough, he has taken a couple of years off from needing my help. And you know what? He is sporting several semesters of a 4.0 on his own. Smarty pants.

So, when he casually mentioned a little help with a final project in his Dendrology class, I gladly reassured him that I would help. Let us not think about the tiny person who demands almost all of my attention. Let us not think about the final exams and project that I have to do as the semester winds down.

Baby brother came over yesterday and we sorted leaves and glued them to papers that had the scientific names printed on them. Eventually, we watched Scarrius movius (2) and ate Quesadillae chickenius as we worked. Seriously - you start thinking that everything has a genus and species after a few hours.

We worked for hours. My back hurts. This took way longer than any of the things I had to do. But I think of it as his last valiant effort to include me in his schooling.

Because, you see, my baby brother is graduating from college in two weeks. He, who scorned school from the get-go. He, who gave no effort at all in high school and skated by sometimes. He has earned a degree in Environmental Science with minors in Geology and Business, probably with a higher GPA than I ever had.

So, although he doesn't read my blog, I want to give him a shout out. Snaps for baby brother! I am strangely proud.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennboree said...

Ha! the "snaps" thing just kills me!

I too am extremely proud of our brother. I think he has surprised everyone, maybe even himself, with this accomplishment. And it wouldn't BE our brother if he had ended it without needing big sister to rescue him in crunch time. :)

So, snaps to you, Little Big Sis!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats to you for helping your brother, and congrats to him, too. I have a similar situation. My goof-off brother, the absolute class clown of the century, buckled down after high school and earned a PhD and is now a college professor. Whenever I run into one of his old high school buddies, you should see the look on their face when I tell them this.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

The word projectus just sound wrong...

Using the word in a sentence... "He didn't feel very well and this feeling was confirmed when the projectus vomitus appeared."

1:12 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

Awww...Clayton! I still think of him as a high-schooler. Probably since that was the last time I saw him. And, now! Now! He's all grown up and studying Dendrology and other words that I don't know!

Gosh, it kind of makes me feel old.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home