< Upheaval: Hi, ho, the dairy - NO!

Monday, December 19, 2005

Hi, ho, the dairy - NO!

Two years ago, Daniel and I did the Atkins Diet together. It was truly a bonding experience. I lasted all of three days before I was in the depths of dispair. Seriously, I triggered a depressive episode that was only remedied by getting off the diet. AND the episode was made worse by the fact that, for all my suffering, I didn't lose a single pound.

So when I decided Friday night to stop eating dairy foods and peanuts, Daniel was skeptical. But I felt like I needed to try it, for Dillon's sake. He might have allergies to things that I eat, and I really want to make him better.

All day Saturday and Sunday, I obsessed about dairy foods and nuts. I wanted them so badly. By last night, I was seriously anxious, and Daniel could tell. He tried to tell me that I was doing a good thing, and that he was proud of me. But he and I both knew I was headed down The Slippery Slope.

I decided to indulge myself and have a tiny, tiny glass of egg nog. (Keep your opinions to yourself! When you can't have something, the cravings are insane!) I wanted to know how long it would take to get the dairy product out of my system so I wouldn't be passing it to Dillon, so I looked on the internet.

I didn't find the answer, but what I found was even better!

Milk is disgusting! Humans are not built to drink cows' milk! It is really hard to digest and really bad for us! Milk cows get mastitis infections in their udders, so sometimes there is mucus and pus in the milk that is collected! Dairy foods have been linked to many illnesses, like prostate cancer, migraines, and allergies!

So I am DONE! No more dairy for me. I haven't craved it at all today, cause I am thorougly disgusted! So that means I am successful.

Now, does anyone know anything gross about peanuts?

10 Comments:

Blogger Trinity13 said...

I think I'll def have to limit the milk in my house now! Thanks for the heads up with that great link!

Btw, I read that "peanuts are one of the most pesticide-contaminated crops".

8:58 PM  
Blogger YankeeAmanda said...

Oh, nasty. Ick. I mean, I may dump all dairy, that's just gross.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

trin - and they have cancer causing mold! pretty soon i am going to be living off water! hooray!

i am not sure i am ready to try tofu ice cream, but i have NEVER heard these things about milk, so it is pretty eye opening.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm sitting here drinking my glass of chocolate milk, and I don't really care to read what you found. I'm enjoying my milk too much! I'll have to do it later.

10:15 PM  
Blogger koyama said...

sick sick SICK!! The words 'Udder' and 'pus' in the same sentence is pretty much all I need to hear not to drink milk for a while! Ok, that is a complete lie. I couldn't function without my morning cup of tea and milk. Pathetic, I know.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Heath has been griping for MONTHS about the fact that I give Isabella cow's milk. Now that you've gone a little more detailed with it, soy is sounding better by the second.

Yes, stopping dairy and peanuts (okay, not necessarily peanuts) is a challenge, but YOU CAN DOOOO IT!

7:43 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I knew a guy that was Buddist and was a vegan and there was this soy ice cream he had that was good and Im trying very hard to think of what the name of it is for you.

more to follow after some research.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

http://www.vegblog.org/archive/2001/04/23/a_rundown_of_soy_ice_creams.php

here are various soy ice creams and peoples comments on them. I think I had the chocolate tofrutti.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I stopped dairy about six months ago and I feel better. Soy milk is great.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I have never ever ever liked milk and I sure don't like it after reading this post! blech!

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home