< Upheaval: Gross

Friday, December 09, 2005

Gross

Okay, you already know that I am obsessive. The first step is admitting it, so I have come at least that far.

A quick example of how obsessivness can be harmful to me:

When I had my wisdom teeth extracted, I was left with four large pits in my mouth. I was given a syringe to "gently rinse away" anything that might accumulate in the holes. I loved the syringe! I used it so much that I "gently rinsed away" all attempts my body was making to heal itself, and I ended up with extremely painful dry sockets. You would think that exposed nerve endings would teach me a lesson.

Um, no.

Here is my story. I was watching Good Morning America the other day. (Note: I NEVER watch this show. Who has time for morning television?) They did a short segment about sinusitus. Here is what I learned:

A lot of people get sinusitis. (I do!)
A lot of people go to the ER for their sinus pain. (Last year, I did!)
A lot of people spend money they don't have on a CAT scan to confirm that it is a sinus infection, and not a brain tumor. (I did that, too, and we are still paying for it!)

Since I am breastfeeding, and can no longer take sinus medication, I have been showing classic signs of the onset of a sinus infection. The doctor on GMA suggested irrigating the sinus cavity with salt water and a bulb syringe.

Wait just a minute...

I have salt.
I have water.
I have a bulb syringe.
And I like rinsing things.

This sounds like an activity for me! I got all my equipment and went into the bathroom. I squirted water up my nose, and let it drain. I did it again. I thought it would hurt, but it didn't. As I repeatedly irrigated my sinus cavity, I imagined all the little molecules of salt water scrubbing out the junky buildup. I envisioned a sparkling sinus cavity. I continued to squirt.

The doctor didn't say how many times to do it, so when I had used up my original batch of salt water, I decided to stop.

That was two days ago.

My nose has not stopped draining salt water down the back of my throat. I feel like the inside of my nose has been scrubbed with Comet. My head is heavy with the overstimulation of an area that should be left alone.

But all the while, my thought is "Just one more time. That'll fix it, I bet."

And here we go again.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jennboree said...

Oh. My. Gosh.

I was laughing so hard as my sinus mucus drainage dripped on the keyboard.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I enjoyed the syringe after I had my wisdom teeth taken out too. but not so much that I gave myself dry sockets.
I read this blog this one time about a girl that was eating Doritos and she sneezed and inhaled a huge chunk of dorito into her sinus cavity. She could feel it banging around in her head. It was one of the funniest posts I have ever read, I had tears running down my face I was laughing so hard- hearing about her trying to snort, snuffle, blow the chip chunk out of her head and finally giving up and going to the ER. Im still laughing about it now thinking about it.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

ha! I remember when I had my wisdom teeth removed, I didn't over-rinse, but I kept trying to explore with the syringe..poking and prodding...about the 3rd time I zapped myself by hitting a nerve, I learned my lesson.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Girl, girl, girl. Don't be messing with your sinuses anymore. Those TV "Doctors" should never suggest anyone squirt anything up their noses.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

vanessa! it was a Good Morning America "Doctor!" doesn't that count for something??? ;)

6:09 PM  
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Awwww, that is gross...heehee! But I hope you clear up soon!!!

12:52 AM  
Blogger koyama said...

Glad to know I am not alone. Replace the syringe with a flash light and sinus cavity with perfectly-healthy-but-I-am-sure-I-have-throat-cancer-tonsils and I can completely relate!!!! I even went to the doctor who politely tried not to laugh.

9:28 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

when i was in China, one of the girls did something similar. except she took really hot (okay, maybe it was warm, so that it wouldn't scald her) water and put it in this thing that looked like a tiny teapot with a really long, skinny spout, and she turned her head sideways and poured the water in her nose and let it work its way through her sinuses to clear everything out. she swore by it, but i couldn't get past the fact that i would be voluntarily putting water up my nose.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Bless your heart! I can almost imagine your pain. I couldn't get the snorkeling right at first and ended up inhaling sea water, which is pretty dang salty and painful.

But you did this on purpose?

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home