< Upheaval: Dillon update

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Dillon update

Alright. I was going to blog about something benign, but this is weighing me down, so I guess I should share.

Poor baby Dillon has eczema. The doc says it is pretty severe and he will be surprised if we don't have to battle it for a long time. There are some prescription steriod treatments that make it a little better, but the treatments aren't so good for his baby skin either, so we need to use those sparingly. For now, we just slather him up with Vaseline and lotion, prevent overheating, and try to keep him from scratching.

I guess my heart is heavy for selfish reasons. I don't want to always have to explain why his cheeks are red, or why his skin isn't soft like other babies. I really don't like the thought of him laying there, itching in his own skin. I don't want him to be uncomfortable! I think of when my skin is dry and itchy, and I can't wait to get some lotion on there for relief. Well, he can't talk, so he can't tell me when his skin bothers him!

There are so many bad things that can happen to kids. I know that a skin condition is mild compared to the tragedies that other families go through.

But for now, I would covet your prayers. He is my son, the desire of my heart, and I want him to be a happy boy!

*** Good news, though: his finger is better after Doc squeezed some stuff out of it, the spitting up is mild reflux that can be treated with some drops, and he doesn't have to have frozen breastmilk anymore, so his poop should go back to normal! Hooray!

7 Comments:

Blogger YankeeAmanda said...

I'm sorry about the eczema. A friend of mine had a child who had that, and they eventually found out it was an allergic reaction to the mother eating peanuts. When she stopped eating peanut butter, his skin cleared up. Could that be an issue in Dillon's case? Just wondering.

I'm glad his finger is better. What happened to it in the first place?

11:15 AM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

...so he's got that goin' for him, which is nice...

Every mother who reads this understands your heavy heart.

Just take a few deep breaths and remember Dillon is overall a perfectly happy, healthy little guy.

When people ask, just tell it like it is: He's got eczema and he'll grow out of it. Then you'll get oodles of advice and suggestions which you learn to filter in one ear and out the other :)

11:49 AM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

oh, wait...you've already learned that...

11:53 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

oh, sad to hear about his skin condition, but glad that the other problems can be alleviated. i promise that if i see dillon anytime soon, and wouldn't that be wonderful if i did?, i will make comments about his soft, smooth skin. because i'm sure that his is STILL softer and smoother than mine. poor little guy. i will be praying for him, and for you!

1:15 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

yankee a - i asked the doc if i needed to drop dairy or peanuts from my diet, and he said he didn't know if that would help, but that i was welcome to try it. i'll let you know if that makes a difference! thanks!

jes - his skin is smooth, but only on his back, chin, hands, feet and hiney. :)

1:21 PM  
Blogger Trinity13 said...

I'll def say a prayer for little Dillon! I hope he feels better soon.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bless his little heart. I'm sorry to hear this, Amanda. Keep him lotioned up! Prayers and kisses to you both.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home