< Upheaval: The early birds

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The early birds

I am lying on my tempurpedic mattress, cradled in the perfect balance of cozy warmth with the coolness of the air conditioner (this is Texas, baby!) blowing across my face. My room is pitch dark. A small fan hums to make some white noise, and my baby sleeps soundly in the next room. The dog is on his bed at the foot of mine, breathing contentedly. It is four in the morning.

Why do I know all of these details? Because my eyes are wide open.

Why are my eyes wide open at 4 am?

Because there is a crazy cult of British birds in my yard that sings incessantly in the wee hours of the day, while the sun is coming up in the U.K. Perhaps they were displaced by a freak wind. Perhaps they migrated here on purpose to visit a relative. Perhaps their thinking is reversed - that the sun comes up because they sing, and not that they sing because the sun comes up.

Whatever it is, it has got to stop. This is not an occasional anomaly. It is becoming a daily ritual. A built-in bad start to my day! In the words of John Stossel - "Give me a break!" And in the words of Amanda Sue - "Go back where you came from before I get a gun out!"

13 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

At 4 am in the morning, it would have been 10 AM in the UK and the Sunrise was at 6:37 this morning for them... so the birds would have already been done chirping... because the sunrise was over... are you sure they aren't Greenland birds or Newfoundland Birds? 4 am in the morning would have been approximately 6 am their time... British birds are our friends... it's those Dang Greenland birds you have to watch out for.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

wow, ben! i am so impressed with all of your knowledge.!
pretty sure greenland doesn't even have birds, though. and if there are birds there, they don't sing because they are too cold.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

So were they penguins chirping? (Do penguins chirp?)

9:07 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I was up with you, but not because of birds... my child wanted to have a heart to heart... and not sleep.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Trinity13 said...

I was up that early too...to pee!

10:46 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

Before I get a gun out... ahahaahahahaa!!

Maybe see if they have a nest. And then destroy it. Or, throw it in your neighbor's yard. :)

11:47 AM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Wait a minute...you have a tempurpedic mattress?

That's it! I'm sleeping in YOUR bed when we come down there!!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Okay, your baby which I had not seen before today, is SUMO cute. He looks kind of like that baby in the Quiznos commercials but even cuter.

11:56 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Are you picking on the birds b/c they're British?

We're in a fight.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

am - i am picking on the birds cause they have unnaturally high-pitched cheery voices and sit in my yard saying "g' morning!" just like i imagine British people with wings would say at 4 am.

are we still in a fight? ;)

7:16 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

eddie - thank you! we think he is pretty cute too, but it is always nice to hear it from others!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

British people w/ wings? I've missed this phenomenon.

1:20 PM  
Blogger koyama said...

Sigh. Big long sigh. I won't hear birds chirping here for at least 4-5 months. The only birds we have here are large and black and eat the garbage....

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home