< Upheaval: Night walking

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Night walking

I went to bed early last night. (I know I am not supposed to be complaining, but pleurisy feels like you are walking around with a knife through your chest and coming out your back.) I needed some rest.

I slept pretty hard till about three, when my corner of the world lit up. That is what it seems like when Dillon's monitor shows sound. We usually keep the volume off because the bright flare of red lights wakes me up. I watched for a second, and listened, and I could hear his panicked voice coming down the hall.

I nudged Daniel. "Hey."

"Hmmmmmm?" he mumbled into his pillow.

"Can you go see what he needs?" I said, in my best I-am-hurting-so-bad-I-can't-move voice.

"Mmmmhmmm..." he said.

Poor Daniel.

He jumped up out of bed and lumbered toward the door like an intoxicated Rip Van Winkle.

*BAM!*

You know in cartoons, when someone runs into a pole, their arms and legs stick straight out in front of them on either side of the pole, then they slide to the ground with stars circling their heads? Well, that is what happened to Daniel.

Except it was the door, not a pole. It was open, and at just the right angle so he could run into the narrow part. With his head.

"Oh," was all he said.

I lay still and quiet, expecting him to collapse in the floor, KO'd by our very own house. But he didn't.

He opened Dillon's door and I heard Lil' D say, "Mama-mama! I got boogas!"

Oh, sheesh! Well, at least it wasn't a real emergency. I doubt Daniel would have had the snap to respond after his collision.

(I'll update later about if he has scars to show for his late night battle. I fully expect something! It was a rough fight.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Sharkey said...

Ah, the old "I ran into the door" excuse for the black eye, huh? :)

Hope he recovers quickly!

11:21 AM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

HAHAHAHA...I mean, awwwwww...

Did he curse? I would've cursed like a heathen. But maybe he was still half asleep.

I like how Dillon just assumes you want to know immediately about his boogas so you can retrieve them.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

eh. not even a mark. he must be tougher than i thought.

and, no, he didn't curse. i was so surprised he just said "oh." i was waiting for a follow up...

6:43 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

LOL--the cartoon character description painted a very vivid picture of the catastrophe in my head. Great post. Hope you're feeling better soon!

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home