< Upheaval: Where is the path most taken, please?

Monday, January 21, 2008

Where is the path most taken, please?

In addition to my own medical woes, it seems that Dillon now is hosting the influenza virus. Daniel took him to a new doc today, while I was at my very last prenatal visit. Dr. G is my doctor, and Dr. D is Dillon's doctor.

I was checking out, saying fond farewells to my weekly-friends at the reception desk when someone stuck their head around the corner:

"Dr. G! Dr. D is on the phone for you."

(Okay, so this is a small town. And D is a common name. But still, a little weird.)

Just then, my cell rang. It was Daniel:

"Dr. D wants Dr. G to reschedule your c-section cause Dillon has the flu."

At the same time, Dr. G looks at me from his phone (he IS talking to Dillon's doc!), and says quietly into the receiver, "Um, yeah. The mother isn't going to go for that..."

My brain says: BWHAHAHAHAHAHA! YOU have GOT to be FREAKIN' KIDDING ME!

I can't BREATHE! My only hope of pain relief is going to come in the minutes after they extract this baby from my womb and start pumping me full of anti-inflammatory drugs for this killer pleurisy that I have. And Dr. D thinks I am going to willingly postpone that???

Thankfully, Dr. G knows better. He sets the record straight, reassures me that we will be doing a c-section on Thursday morning, as planned, and calls in some Tamiflu for me and the rest of my family.

So, in the meantime, I am sitting at home, holding my breath. For two reasons, really. The first is to provide short stints of pain relief for my lung. The second reason I am holding my breath is because I am praying fervently that Daniel doesn't get the flu. Wouldn't that be the icing on the cake?

3 Comments:

Blogger Sharkey said...

Forget Daniel (sorry, Daniel!)--what if YOU get the flu?!?? Keep holdin' your breath!

7:34 PM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

At least you have family to help out, right? I may have two lil monkeys following me around, but I can still help care for Dillon while Mom cares for you as you care for baby. Daniel will buck up and do what he has to as well.

I mean, really, what's he going to do if he gets the flu and his wife just had a baby removed from her stomach? Whine about it? Not if he ever wants to try for baby #3! :)

Calm down. Short breaths. That was a joke about baby #3.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

My husband had a kidney stone attack the day I came home from the hospital with baby #2. I spent the first two weeks of Layne's life carrying him to doctors and to the surgery center for two surgeries. I feel your pain and will do everything I can to send good vibes your way!

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home