< Upheaval: He's got the whole world in His hands

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

He's got the whole world in His hands

(Sometimes, I steal other people's stories, but you will totally dig this one! I am so excited and proud and thrilled that I feel like it is partly MY story, too, even though it has nothing to do with me.)

A friend from high school is a missionary in Turkey. She and her husband have lived there for several years, and regularly send email newsletters. I have kind of kept up with her through those, so I knew she was pregnant.

She came home to the States about four months ago, and she has been living with her family and helping care for her father, who has been very ill. Her husband was finally able to join her about a month ago, and they found a little house to rent for the summer. Although she grew up here, and her family is here, her heart is in Turkey. She has lived there for years, has friends and a home there, and had to leave all of that during this very important time of her life. Sadly, her dad's situation has been declining, and he has been hospitalized several times recently. Through all of this, her pregnancy has been progressing. I am sure her emotions were all over the place, with the stress, and the hormones. Oh, and the stress.

Well, we finally made plans to hang out last Friday. I was really excited to get to visit with her, and also excited cause Daniel was going to keep Dillon and let me have a Girl's Night Out. We met at the appointed time, and she just fell apart. She had gotten some bad news about her dad and felt like she needed to be at the hospital with him. We quickly made arrangements to catch up another time, and we left - she went back to the hospital and I went home.

In my mind, I was so sad for her because I could feel that she knew the end was coming for her dad. I cannot walk in those shoes. I cannot envision myself without one of my parents. My heart was breaking because I didn't even know what to say.

She has been on my mind a lot this weekend. I have actually been afraid to call because I wasn't sure what news I would hear and whether I would have the words for her.

Despite my fears, and complete lack of faith, I got an email from her today.

In an answer to the prayers of her heart, she went into labor on Saturday and gave birth to a gorgeous baby girl. She had been praying to have the baby early. Her labor went smoothly (ha! that is easy to say since it wasn't me!) and her doctor, who was not even on-call, made it to the delivery. In another answer to prayer, her father has taken a turn for the better and got to meet his first grandbaby. He was coherent enough to understand who she was and got to play with her.

I get tears in my eyes when I think about this. I was worried (accomplishes NOTHING, by the way!) and sad, but then God just has a way of showing us who is really in control. This family, who needed respite from the heart-wrenching care of an ailing loved one, is now joyfully celebrating the arrival of a new life. He has given them a gift that is beyond precious. His timing is amazing, and so much better than ours.

I wanted to share her joy with you! For her, her new baby, and her family, say a prayer of thanks today.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennboree said...

That is so beautiful and brought me to tears of joy for Chana and her family.

Thank you for sharing her story with everyone.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

what a blessing... and God loves us so much doesn't he!!!!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Trinity13 said...

How wonderful that the grandfather got to meet his new granddaughter! God is good...all the time!

9:16 AM  
Blogger Jennboree said...

Oh, and thanks for putting that song in my head for the day.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Cool! Glad things are looking up! :)

3:36 PM  
Blogger koyama said...

What an amazing story. It is hard to understand how emotional it can be when an elderly dearly loved relative is ill...how beautiful the timing of everything! God can make all things beautiful.

12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home